GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:54:19 +0000
Dampha, thanks for your rebuttal of Yaya's outlook on the state of the
private sector.  The people have the ideas but do not have the capital to
embark on the projects that he kept harping on over Ataya (tea) and roast
lamb.  See, this is what happens when you stuff your mouth with too much
roast meat and try to talk policy.  :)!  He completely missed the point when
he decided to address the symptoms for the cause.  Our people even tried his
"Allah's Bank" hoax and still do not have access to capital.  Like I said
before and you and others mentioned, this is one individual who had nothing
of significance besides him being human pre 1994.  Post 1994, the guy is now
the richest individual in the country and our people are just mute on the
issue or try to rationalize his wealth in any ridiculous manner.  Anyone
with access to our coffers can be a farmer, businessman, etc.  And if Baba
Jobe can manage an airline, any Gambian is capable of setting up shop with
very little capital and be a success.  Yaya cannot see the relationship
between having access to capital and being able to invest.  Finance 101, you
have to have capital (through savings, financing, borrowing, etc., but not
looting) in order to be able to invest legally.  So, capital precedes
investment and not the other way round.  This flawed line of reasoning on
his part is adopted because his ventures are not financed through savings,
financing, or borrowing, but through looting.  So, he can only tell us his
personal experience.  Next, what is he going to suggest, that inflation if
caused by the people and not his government's misguided policies?  Please,
if you want to address the lack of investment in our country, start with
your own administration's financial policies.  When was the last time your
administration and predecessor took a look at the commercial banks and their
colonial policies?  Why is it easier for a foreigner to get a loan than a
native?  Why is the rate of the Dalasi to the $ at almost D20 to 1$?  Why
are the banks charging 21%interest to the businessmen/women?  Why can't you
see that the high cost of borrowing correlates to the general rise in
prices?  Why, we have the banks discourage savings with government's help by
raising the minimum to open a savings/checking account D3,000?  Have you
ever considered that the lady that sells roasted groundnuts, smoked fish,
etc., is sitting on a sizable amount of the currency in circulation, which
if encouraged to save it and the banks change their lending policies, some
of our lack of capital for the private sector may be answered?  The more the
currency circulates in the community, the more wealth is created by the
community.  That, the government's borrowing to pay for salaries is also
aiding in reducing access to capital that could have been loaned to the
private sector.  That the higher the unemployment rate the less income taxes
that government can collect, etc.  You have to be able to see the
relationship of your policies and the ripple effect it causes in our
economy.  And we have a minister of finance on top of that, lord have mercy!

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou