GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:06:46 -0500
Gassama, you know the reason you do not want to engage me has nothing to do
with the reason you stated in your piece.  You will not engage me because
you know your lies cannot pass muster with me.  Point to me one single lie I
mentioned in my piece.  Why didn’t you tell us about the kilometers of road
network we have in the country?  Am I lying that we still have black-outs in
the country?  Am I lying that people still wake up in the morning and do NOT
have water to take showers?  Am I lying that according to Famara Jatta’s own
figures Gambians have grown poorer under Yaya’s watch?  Did Yaya build
‘first-class hospitals’ in the country?  What do you people term as a
‘first-class hospital’?  Are you people well?  If we had first-class
hospitals in the country, Yaya would not send his wife to America to have a
baby.

I do NOT hold a ‘chain-saw’ at anybody’s head.  It goes without saying that
people can send all sorts of garbage here.  You are a living testament of
that.  You send here all sorts of garbage.  However, if you do not want to
embarrass yourself, you have to be prepared to stand by what you say.  We
must learn to be accountable.  That is all.  Darn right some of us will NOT
stand by and let you lie about the plight of our people.  You are struggling
to make ends meet and want to give people the impression that everything is
well in the country.  ‘We have good roads. We have electricity. We have
water. We have first-class’ schools and hospitals’.  This nonsense can fly
with some in the Diaspora that are NOT in tune with what obtained in the
country prior to 1994 and are NOT constantly in contact with honest Gambians
on the ground.  Some of us know exactly what is going on in the country.  We
know you are in denial.  To you, Yaya is NOT corrupt.  His plane and his
multi-million dollar Swiss accounts, he got legitimately.  And you stand up
and pound your chest and say that you are an honest person.
KB