GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 14:41:05 -0400
Yusupha, let's try this. Is 1000 votes (absentee ballot) more than 800 votes
(APRC majority)? Now if one argues that the 1000 votes can be explained by
vote-buying and one is successful with that argument, has one not overturned
the APRC majority? What is then the point in pursuing other possible causes
of the election 'defeat'? When people are discussing one topic, it makes
little sense to bring in other topics that involve other complications you
do not want to get to. If this is getting too complicated for you, I will
try and give you another breakdown on Monday. I have limited access to the
internet during weekends. In short, I was talking about vote-buying because
it was the TOPIC of my debate. To me, that vice got rid of the APRC
majority. I did not need to speculate about other issues such as
voter-apathy without conducting a poll. I already had APRC stalwarts (Baba
Jobe) proving my contention.

Moving to the figures you used. Now I understand the fundamental problem we
have. Yusupha, you are trying to be experts in a field you have little
understanding of: ELECTIONS. You do not even know the difference between a
by-election and a general election. You see, by-election and parliamentary
elections are not one and the same thing. General elections and presidential
elections are not one and the same thing. A by-election is an election in a
SINGLE constituency to fill a vacancy arising during a government's term of
office. In our general elections, ALL the constituencies are up for grabs.
So parliamentarians also participate in general elections. Although you said
that you NEVER used general elections figures, that is exactly what you did
when you sent me the Kiang results of 1997. Those are general election
results, not by-elections. I hope you get the difference now. General
elections is not synonymous to presidential elections and by-elections
synonymous to parliamentary elections. Now, once you get the difference, go
re-read what I said to you on this topic and you will realize why I said you
were engaged in fuzzy math when you used these figures to premise your whole
argument.
KB