GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:51:00 EDT
 Hi Everyone,

 I think the Imaam is performing his religious duty. Like the Pope and other
 religious leaders do all the time, there is no way in which he can condone
 the sort of family planning that is being advocated. The jury is still out
 as to whether or not the contraceptive experiment has succeeded. Girls as
 young as 11 or 12 are still getting pregnant in countries where
 contraceptives should have prevented this from happening, and plans are
 underway to make contraceptives freely available to this age-group in
 Britain, no questions asked.

 Contraceptives are also not without side effects. The 'pill scare' a couple
 of years ago, showed that even within the scientific community, there is
 disagreement ragarding the safety of the pill. I remember the pharmaceutical
 industry had to pay Canadian Professor Spitzer ( or something like that) to
 fly round the world assuring people that the pill was safe and that the
 conclusions of his research were misintepreted, by British and other
 scientists. So the pill is not risk-free. Whatever people decide to do with
 themselves, it is up to them, but religious religious leaders are right to
 preach what is in the Holy Books. Instead of making contraceptives freely
 available, there should be more education about sexual matters.  Cheers.

 Momodou

****************
l have to say that l agree with Momodou's point here. The Imam has to teach
what is in the holy books, just like other religious leaders do every
day.They either please Allah and deliver his message, even though this may
not be what everyone wants to hear, or they just restrict themselves to what
is pleasing to hear, even if it goes against the religious teachings.If they
choose to do  the latter, they might as well describe themselves as something
else, other than religious leaders. Now, l do not agree that the pill is the
cause of prostitution. Prostitution in our society is a result of poverty,
lack of self respect and self esteem period. Yes, it takes two to tango as
they say, but one can say no, and then two will have to go tango somewhere
else.Contraception can be practiced using various methods. Personally, l have
never trusted the pill after l read the accompanying literature listing the
possible side effects.
On the issue of the Ahmadiyyas, they are a sect that are considered to be
deviant from the teachings of the Holy Qur'an and the directives and example
of the Prophet, who, after all, was the one who brought us the message of
this deen.For example, their leader makes some claims that are directly
opposed to quranic teachings regarding the Mahdi, and subsequent prophets
after Muhammed bin Adullah (SAS) who is the seal of the prophets.That is a
serious issue indeed. l think it is nice that the Ahmadiyyas have built
hospitals and schools etc, but it will not, and should not prevent the truth
being told about their deviant beliefs.l believe those of us who practice
this religion appreciate and understand the importance of warning our fellow
believers, infact, it is incumbent upon us as muslims.If this is the case,
then let us cease to make any  criticisms of colonialism, nor should we have
fought for independence from the same since our colonizers built schools and
hospitals. The real problem is that our so-called leaders are pitiful and
have been so since independence, and this has resulted in poverty, lack of
jobs and  basic facilities that should have been our first priority all
along. Consequently, we have developed this beggar mentality, such that
anyone who comes along and builds these facilities that we should have
provided for ourselves in the first place, is viewed as a saviour  of some
sort, no matter what the package comes with. The Ahmadiyyas can do what they
please, but any Imam who is aware of what they innovate in Islam and does not
speak up against it, is not only a hypocrite infront of Allah (SWT), but
would not be doing their job of providing guidance. This is not a popular
subject, but it is an important subject that needs to be addressed so that at
least, the people are aware of it.Religious tolerance does not mean that one
has to abandon the task of educating and enlightening their fellow muslims,
Christians or whatever sect one happens to follow, in the do's and don'ts of
their religion.l suggest that those who are not familiar with the teachings
of Islam regarding innovation, should do the research, study the Qur'an and
the hadith of the Prophet (SAS), and and the literature pertaining to purity
in worship, which is the backbone of Islam. Then, study the origins and some
of the beliefs of the Ahmadiyya movement. l am afraid this one is not a
political argument.

Jabou Joh