GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
pa ali ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 23:33:12 +0000
I have no doubt in my mind, after reading about African women  in history in
this list, that the spirits of legendary gambian women must be preparing to
re-enter the minds of some  daughters,sisters and mothers to lead a
protracted struggle to liberate  gambian society.

The hegamony of power by men in this land for the past centuries have mostly
resulted in the downwords spiral into berbarism.they distroyed instead of
developing the past communial egalitarian basis of society.

The men constructed a very oppressive caste system in almost all the gambian
language groups with a parasitic ,unproductive and brutal slave raiding
military ruling minority shamelessly callinig themselves gelewars, nanchos
etc.

Instead of treating  our women with the greatest respect as our ancestors
had done, they degenerated into a sexist mindset of anti-human virginal
brutality,poligamy,economic exploitations social and cultural exclusion,
mis-named culture or tradition.

These men-created societies stagnated in this form of male chauvinism for
centuries resulting in deformed empires characterised by caste riden,male
chauvinist and permanent internal warfare for enslavement of war prisoners.

we are experiencing a slow but sure rise in the qualitative engagement of
the gambiam women in crisis analysis and resolution.i am almost of the
openion that some of the most important surgical analysis and suggestions of
a way forward in this forum came from women.

Yes,after reading about african women in history i am beginning to
understand that when ever african men are at their highest level of
impotency in taking herioc responsiblity ,our oppressed women always takes
the front line.

thanks to all sharing knowledge we must regain historic memory to understand
the present and move into the future with dignified direction.