GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.M.Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:18:50 +0000
 To me, this is beyond
> partisan politics.  It is life of a people and of future generations.
> This could be our challenge to President Jammeh and his government.
> WHAT DO YOU THINK?
>
> Abdoulaye Saine

Thanks Dr. Saine,

I also share the same sentiments on your proposals. The
general comments from list members acknowledges that we as
Gambians, whether at home or in the diaspora need peace,
tranquility and reconciliation of our nation as we approach
the new millennium. Your last statement is very
timely and cannot be more aptly structured. It is about
time we stop the constant recrimination and our static,
dogmatic position on political issues in our dear
motherland. Blaming ad-infinitum does nothing to change the
livihood of the majority of our people. Constructive
dialogue can have healing powers. If south africa can have
a "truth and reconciliation" committee considering the
excesses of apartheid, I see no reason why we cannot have
the same in our small and beloved motherland. It is always
difficult for individuals to admit when they are at fault.
Admitting failure is not tantamount to being guilty. Human
beings are fallible.

The welfare and future development of Gambians is more
important than party politics. Presidents come and go, but
the Gambia as a nation stays on. The challenges and
opportunities facing the nation are enormous as we approach
the next century. What can the Bantaba do to promote
political dialogue between the various factions?, What can
we do to eradicate poverty and uplift the living standards
of the nation?. Simple questons but complex answers. We all
have a role to play as we are all stakeholders. Being in
the industrial world doesn't absolve us from the fact that
99.9% of our families are in Gambia and their suffering is
our suffering, their happiness is also our happiness. I
believe that it is through constructive dialogue that we
can make any headway and progress. I sincerely hope that
the suggestions being floated around will be actively
engaged upon.

Thanks for the voice of moderation.

Basil