GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:19:21 GMT
Alpha,

I'm surprise you seem to have contempt for African intellectuals in the West
producing tons of "academic" junk. Some of this "junk" actually is very
productive material. Try reading some of this "junk," it might wisen you up!
Besides, many of these emigrant intellectuals left Africa not b/c they want
to, but b/c they have to. Take the Gambia for instance. Korro Ceesay is as
sharp as anyone, and he also could have stayed in Australia or gone to any
Western country and gain meaningful employment. Instead, he believed in the
puff that is put out by the powers that be, and look where he is.

But on a daily basis, how can any self-respecting "intellectual" continue to
degrade him/herself by following orders from people whose only claim to
being the "boss" is the barrel of the gun. Any criticism , however
well-intended is seen as a "threat." That remains the order of the day in
the Gambia, and indeed in many African countries. So, what does a man of
letters do? Shut up and follow stupid orders just to keep his job? Suggest
better ways of doing things, and be fired for being a "threat?" Criticize,
and be fired or murdered w/o consequences? The so-called leaders keep
telling everyone to sacrifice/improvise while they're wallowing in the good
life ...globe trotting and all.  So what is unpatriotic about decent
"intellectuals" leaving such countries to give their families a shot at
decent living? Please tell me this, Alpha!

I've made clear in my exchanges w/ Mr Sallah that I'm not trying to take
anything away from him. But, unlike you, I see Halifa as being far from
perfect. He has defended a constitution that leaves a lot to be desired. He
has given a version of the Korro Ceesay affair that is at the very least
-laughable. And he continues to exonerate some of Yaya Jammeh's excesses by
making irrelevant comparisons w/ the PPP regime. Are these mere allegations?
That's what I'm waiting for Halifa to tell me until you showed up. If you
follow Halifa's politics like I do, you'll know these things. What is rude
about I or any Gambian for that matter raising these issues? But more
importantly, what is patriotic about Halifa engaging in any of these if
they're true? Why would you assume that I, or the other people raising these
issues are only trying to sully the image of this man? Maybe Mr Sallah has
the best of intentions for the Gambia, but just remember this line from some
wise man I cannot name: "THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS!" As
I Gambian, it don't think it's too much to ask that Halifa clarify his
stance on all these issues.

I'm not a politician, but I've always been political. Halifa has been both
for a long time. He has challenged everyone to scrutinize him as a potential
National leader. I intend to do just that! If he cannot answer the issues
raised on this forum, that would say more about him than it would about any
of us doing the questioning. And those questions will keep coming whether
YOU or anybody else likes it or not.

So Alpha, CHILL! Instead of engaging in this petty personal vendetta, why
don't you let Halifa answer the questions first. This is not your personal
forum. It's supposed to be about the Gambia, so let's keep it that way.
Because you're used to people kissing up to you doesn't mean that everyone
will do that. I'd rather be run over by a car! I have no apologies for
raising any of the issues I've asked Mr Sallah. I believe all these to be
relevant to understanding the Gambia's body politic. I have given Mr Sallah
credit for what he has tried to do in the Gambia, but I'll be damn if you
think I'll back off b/c people like yourself don't like what I'm asking.

In your piece, you keep using the plural "we."  Who are these "we" you're
speaking for. Gambians? I'm Gambian, and you don't speak for me! So, speak
for yourself -Alpha! It is such pretences -which is nothing but plain
HYPOCRISY that has destroyed us as a people! If you don't find anything
wrong w/ Halifa's behavior since '94, that's your prerogative, but don't
tell me I don't have the right to ask these questions.

But, for lack of time, let me summarize my stance: I'll continue to
contribute my quota to all issues relating to the Gambia. I will not shy
away from asking ANYONE questions that affect the Gambia, whether on this
forum, or somewhere else. If you have a problem with that, create your
private forum where you pay tribute to people you like. Because as long as
I'm on this forum, I'll continue to write at the behest of my conscience.
And I DON"T GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU OR ANYBODY ELSE THINKS OF ME. When I die,
I'll answer to a bigger judge. That judge's opinion is more important to me
than swallowing BULLSHIT b/c it comes from Alpha Robinson or anybody else.
So Alpha, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't detract Mr Sallah from
the issues raised. Your entire piece is nothing but a cheap shot!

HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!

Saul.