GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:59:55 -0800
this was forwarded to me:

Hi all--forwarding two messages regarding Amadou Diallo. First, an
announcement for a Seattle rally, then a statement from people arrested in
New York for protesting the verdict.

Justice for Amadou Diallo!

There will be a rally this Tuesday, February 29th at 5:30pm at SCCC
(corner of Broadway & Pine). We will be rallying then marching to Westlake
 Mall.

Please forward this message as widely as possible.

Please call Dustin at 206.632.0500 ext. 14 for more information.

Please quote, distribute, and reference the follow statement received by
the October 22 Coalition to Stop Police Brutality from people currently in
jail in the Bronx awaiting arraignment.  They were arrested last night
(Friday, 2/25/00) in the Bronx for protesting the acquittal of the four
white cops who killed Amadou Diallo.  The protesters, having no pen or
paper, each took responsibility to memorize parts of their statement. The
protesters called our toll free 1-888-N0-Brutality line from jail to say:

"We have already done more time in jail than the police who brutally
murdered Amadou Diallo. They had the freedom to pump 41 bullets into an
innocent man but we didn't even have the freedom to walk through his
neighborhood to speak out about it.

"What's been proven to us is that to fulfill the role of police officer
obliterates all sense of humanity and forces you to turn a blind eye to
justice, respect and honesty.

"The sentiment of everybody in our cell - protesters and everyone else in
our cell - is outrage at the acquittal of the cops.  Any one of us could
be killed by police next.  There is no justice as long as this verdict
stands.

"We call on everyone to step up resistance to this brutality.  It is
right to fight police brutality."

(end statement)

October 22 Coalition to
Stop Police Brutality, Repression & the Criminalization of a Generation
NYC: 212:646-654-0160   National Office 212-477-8062
FAX: 212-477-8015   E-mail: [log in to unmask]