GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:44:08 +0000
The worst thing that could have happened to the opposition in recent times
is the repeal of decree 89 by the government. Decree 89 gave many of our
opposition stalwarts a common interest by being grouped together against a
common enemy. Now that what bound them together so closely has evaporated,
the opposition seems to be at the cross-roads. While Mr. SM Dibba and Hassan
Musa Camara are studying President Jammeh's pronouncement on the issue, it
has been rumoured in town that OJ and Ousainou Njie are comtemplating
forming a new party. The resurrection of the PPP, though doubtful, cannot be
ruled out. Some are saying that a merger or strategic/tactical alliance
between the UDP, GPP and NCP also seem unlikely. Some are even speculating
that the repeal of decree 89 may be the last nail in the coffin of the NRP.
Another scenario is what effect a resurrected NCP would have on the UDP.
Meanwhile the clock is ticking and the APRC are delivering on their promises
to the Gambian people.

Have a good day, Gassa.