GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:20:14 EST
Well, I guess Yaya Jammeh and the people he sends to do his dirty work of
violating the civil and human rights of their fellow citizens are at it
again.

These NIA agents need to remember that they are sons and daughters of
Gambian, part and parcel of the people they are being sent to harass, and
that any violation of the peoples' rights is a violation of their own rights.

They need to realize that Yaya Jammeh is using them to accomplish what he
himself does not have the courage to do, but that most important of all, he
is letting them take the blame because they are the ones who show up in the
community to do these terrible things, and that when it is all said and done,
the Gambian people will remember their faces as having been the ones who were
the prepetrators of these violations of the people's rights.

I wonder why they let themselves be used like this, and be exposed to the
disdain and wrath of the people as messengers of doom against their own
people, and this is indeed the case, even if the people are afraid to express
it. One day, they will indeed express it.

 These people need to remember that Gambia is a very small country, and most
of the people these youngsters in the NIA are humiliating in public have
themselves co-existed in peace and respect, or their parents have done so
with the parents and relatives of these NIA agents, and that no
administration lasts forever, and at the end of it all, one needs to have
done and said things that will still enable you to hold your head up high and
live in respect and dignity among the people.

If Yaya Jammeh feels a need to arrest people who are challenging his
ridiculous desicion on the nawetan football affair, and the terrible economic
state his regime has left out country in, then it must be that he cannot
stand to hear the truth, and knows that those who criticize him are right. He
wants to muzzle them by using the scare tactics that this regime is well
known for with the hope that others will not follow suit in this criticism.
A competent  and confident administration does not fear criticism, and does
not terrorize people for criticizing them. Instead, they use criticism as a
tool to measure their performance  and to try to improve. However, that is
for intelligent, competent administrations who know why they are in office in
the first place, as servants of the people, paid by the people's  tax money
and there to do the people's work, and not to be tyrants. If one feels a need
to be a tyrant, it must be because they also realize that they are an
unwanted entity, so they have to use force and deviousness to stay in power,
even though they claim popularity. If the APRC were wanted by the people,
they would not have to use blackmail to lure people into their party by
making belonging to the party a condition for making  basic services that any
government has to provide to all available only to their supporters.
It is the continuing saga of the APRC's efforts of  RULING BY FORCE AND BY
HOOK OR BY CROOK.

Jabou Joh