GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angelika P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:16:49 +0200
Dear friends of the Gambia
unfortunately it is true, that there are heavy side effects with the
mefloquine as heart problems, dizzyness, depression, disorientation. It is
not safe for people to drive or control machines while the use it. It is
also not safe for pregnant women and women who have taken mefloquine should
avoid pregnancy for 3 month, as far as I read. Therefore I would not take it
continously for prevention.
In case of actually suffering from malaria I think it is different. Then the
side effects have to be accepted for 3 days in order to save life.

I donīt know if a detailed information about the malaria medications, dose,
side effects is available in english on internet. Those adresses I quoted
are very detailed, but in German. If anyone has an adress please forward it.
If you are interested in a translation from the german sites please let me
know.