GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:40:29 -0400
Joe, you see, these are the kinds of things that sickens me at times. You
opened your posting by saying that you  do not want to be dragged into the
mud. What are you trying to insinuate here? Where did this mudslinging come
from? Who came here and start talking about people's personal lives and
their drinking habits? Who was trying to portray Chongan as a loose-canon
that goes around assaulting people? And you turn around and pretend that I
was responsible for taking you to the gutter. AS I told you yesterday, it
was your own choice to say what you said to Chongan. Stick to your guns.
You should have counseled yourself a long time ago that we have a bigger
problem back home staring at us. Had you convinced yourself of that when it
mattered, you would not have jumped on Chongan the way you did or support
ous Ngum in his despicable assault on Chongan. Instead, you would be talking
about the crimes of Yankuba Touray, who for the first time was pinned with
Human Rights violations.
As I said, say whatever you want about Chongan. But for Heaven's sake, let
it be the truth. When you also say that Yaya and his cohorts are our bigger
problem, also mean what you are saying. Don't say that in one sentence and
in the other you go around attacking people that want to help get rid of
Yaya; especially when those attacks add nothing to the struggle. Now if you
prove that Chongan is a Human Rights violator, how would that help us? On
the other hand, we in this struggle should realize that we cannot have our
cake and eat it. We cannot expect these people to come out and try to help
while we cherish every opportunity to try and put them down. Some people can
take that, but others will not bother if they know such treatment awaits
them when they want to join the struggle. Now I hope people are beginning to
realize why certain soldiers are relunctant to join us. Most of these people
have been forced to Yaya's camp or been made indifferent to the plight of
our people. Why? Because of these types of unjustified attacks.
As Mballow said and I tried to explain the other day, the torture narrated
by Chongan and Ebou Colly can NEVER be pinned on Chongan. Baabaa Jobe was
incarcerated for a 'crime' somewhat analogous to the 'crime' Chongan was
accused of. At that time, Chongan was among the five most powerful Police
Officers in the country. Baabaa Jobe was kept opposite where Chongan lived.
Have you ever heard Baabaa Jobe accuse Chongan of torture? Now, Chongan did
some things that no one is proud of. Is it appropriate to bring that up at
this stage and discourage the man from joining the struggle; especially when
the unsubstantiated allegations against him are in no way comparable to the
horrendous torture he was put under?
You are right I have no monopoly to this struggle. What made you even say
that, I do NOT know. I have my own views about what I want to do. I doggedly
follow that. Others are free to follow their own agenda. You can do whatever
you want regarding this struggle. If I cannot support you, I leave you
alone. I will NOT try to put you down.
I just hope from this exchange people now understand why certain people are
reluctant to join the struggle. This kind of behavior will NOT deter me, but
it can deter many. I shall continue to defend Chongan and will challenge
anyone that would want to peddle lies that Chongan is worse than Yankuba
Touray or committed more atrocities than these vermin. I do NOT undermine
people I know are genuinely trying to help.
KB