GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:14:15 +0200
Brother Lamin,

That Sheriff M Dibba does not have the luxury of sentiment makes an
impeachment procedure set in motion by him even more sensational than else.
He could hardly have hoped for anything better than getting jettisoned as
flotsam after a seamy semester at the Mile 2 Hilton. If he had been that
much opportunistic he cannot now be this much comatose.

The balance of terror in the NA is decidedly in favour of the APRC. The
logic of it all, plus that of the threat to put in motion similar procedure
by Hon Sallah months ago condenses into psychological implications with
probabale political effects.
Of the thirty five US officials who suffered impeachment proceedings, only
nine went through public trials. Many simply resign rather than endure the
weight of public humiliation of attempting to ride the storm. A clinical
example is Nixon. In our backwater kind of parliamentary tradition, it might
never get that far. But the mere act of feeding the public and media domain
with a catalogue of "high crimes and misdemeanours" against Jammeh may just
be the stuff sensational enough for CNN and the BBC to highlight our case.

In Malawi (2005) and Zambia (2003) impeachment proceedings were initiated
against sitting presidents to no political effects, largely because public
sentiment - and therefore parliament - was supportive of  their
anti-corruption campaigns against their predecessors. Obasanjo himself
narrowly escaped impeachment proceedings because of last minute diplomatic
interventions on behalf of national reconciliation.

But here we have a president who desreves worse than mere shame in a climate
were public sentiment is apparently aligned with the opposition. Yet the man
purported to have masterminded the idea to give the president the boot is
being banished into a gulag by sentinels of the Opposition.
That is a problem for our collective judicious imagination.

cheers,
momodou