GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:42:20 +0200
After listening to Pa Dacosta's cassette on the April massacre, I felt
inspired
by his ability to express himself with eloquence and in a poetic manner.
Again,
Pa Dacosta reminded me of how little interest we show in developing the
ability
to communicate in our various, rich mother tongues; to discuss abstract
ideas and
science without recourse to our "great" command of her majesty's mother
tongue
and most of all reaching our very people using phrases and symbols known
to them
for generations. In his book "Decolonising the mind" Ngugi described
how ordinary people met in places they usually meet, reading his works
in Kikuyu
and enjoying it so much, embracing it as theirs. Without underplaying
the essence
of knowing other languages I thought that by beginning to pay attention
to this,
we will not only be boosting our collective sense of identity but will
also
contribute to the demystification of the often nurtured notion that our
languages
cannot be used for scientific expressions etc.

This Poem is therefore a tribute to the longing for that day when we
will take
our languages seriously and develop them as media of communication in
schools
etc. as much as it is a tribute to the massacred students for whom Pa
Dacoster
stood and spoke with dignity, sincerity and heroism.

I hope to be able to translate the poem into English soon. I must
shamefully
admit that sometimes I am not even sure of the spelling. The phonetics I
leaned
on were developed, I think, by the curriculum development unit.
Nonetheless it is
a start and I cannot express how it feels thinking in my mother tongue
directly
and not having to translate my thoughts.

I hope we will refocus our attention on the urgent task of restoring
justice and
contributing to the elevation of  the awareness of our people to reach
such
heights that no person on earth will ever keep them oppressed and
ignorant. This
massacre cannot be just another passing event!

METIT (Pain)

Tunde bele lumu sorri sorri
Helako gena sorri
Gëj lum rey rey