GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:10:46 EDT
Linda,
It is nice to see that you are thinking of duplicating an organization like
the Gambia Support Group in Texas. As a member of the Support Group, I can
tell you that it is not hard at all. It seems to be natural with Gambians,
and so I heard of other Africans too; that bringing people together for a
good course is so difficult.
However, it does not take miracles. The Gambia support group has a very good
support within the Gambian community in the DC area. Just as the paper
rightly reported, the group relies on fund raising programs and a token of
contributions from its members.
I will be more than willing to send you any information that you may need to
start such a thing in Texas, and I can personally tell you that the Group
will be more than willing to work with any group or person who is ready to
help the many in need back home. There is a lot those of us outside could do
to help our people, and I hope we all look towards that direction. Most of us
here spends in a week more than what one child in the Gambia might need to go
to school. And it is very shocking to here a child drop out of school,
because his/her parents are unable to pay an exam fee of less than $2.00 (two
Dollars).
So keep your spirit up. Together there is a lot we could do for our people.
And again, I will be more than willing to send you any kind of information
you might need to embark on such a project. You will have a lot of hurdles at
the beginning, but there will certainly be some who will either join or
contribute from their hearts.
I wish you all the best.

Ousman Bojang.