GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:37:31 -0400
The UDP Manifesto

The Independent (Banjul)

READER'S FORUM
September 28, 2001
Posted to the web September 28, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

In our last Election Forum, we started a serialized publication of the
United Democratic Party's manifesto by publishing the introduction. Please
continue reading.

Abraham Lincoln in 1863 described Democracy as 'Government of the people by
the people and for the people'. We are committed to the concept of a
representative democracy in which people choose based on informed decisions
who they want to represent them and defend their interests and conduct the
affairs of the state on their behalf.

The present constitution was tailor-made to suit the members of the AFPRC,
which was preparing to turn themselves into politicians. Despite popular
demand the AFPRC ignored the wishes of the Gambia people. A UDP government
will introduce constitutional amendments, which would amongst others
include:

a.) limiting the term of the Presidency to 2 terms of 5 years; b.) limiting
the term of local government executives to 3 terms of 4 fours; c.) Making
the office of chiefs and election one; d.) Entrenching provisions relating
to the Independent Electoral Commission e.) Making provisions which would
enable organisations other than political parties to sponsor candidates for
elections.

Commitment to democracy and human rights

The UDP has a fundamental belief in and is committed to democracy and
respect for human rights. There can be no sustained and meaningful
development in the absence of a genuine democracy. The people of this
country have an inalienable right to participate in all decision-making
process on all issues affecting their lives and the conditions of their
existence.

Fraud, waste and embezzlement are absolutely no reasons for the seizure,
abuse and demolition of the rights of the citizens of this country or any
other country. All citizens of the Gambia must be treated equally as human
beings in the eyes of the law.

Everyone has the fundamental right to be listened to and be heard when
accused or found to be in breach of the law.

The UDP will ensure the establishment of an independent judiciary as the
executive arms of the law to take all legal actions necessary to preserve
the rights and privileges of the society.

We are strongly committed to the protection of the citizen at all times as
reflected in the constitution of the Gambia, the Universal declaration of
Human Rights and similar legal instruments that seek to protect the
individual against the might of the state. We shall give full support to the
individual against the might of the state. We shall also give full support
to the strengthening of the democratic institutions in the country. These
will include:

i. Political parties

Political parties will be recognised as the vehicles for expressing the
political will and aspirations of the citizens. As one of the pillars of
democratic practice, political parties shall provide the necessary framework
for the effective participation of the citizenry in the political process.
We shall support and encourage the operations of a multi party environment
that will subscribe to the process of affecting a change of government. Any
law that seeks to restrict the operations of such political parties shall be
abrogated. As important agencies in the political educational process, the
UDP government shall provide support to political parties in carrying out
their civic education programs.

ii. The Press The press has a particularly important role to play in
strengthening democracy. It has the responsibility of informing and
educating the citizens as well as the government on the concerns, needs and
possibilities of the ship of state. To fulfill this role effectively calls
for an active press and committed journalists whether from the public or
private sector.

We will support and encourage a free press as a pillar of democracy. We will
abolish all unjustified restrictions on the press. We shall also ensure that
individual privacy and personal information are protected for all citizens.

iii. Civic education

Civic education can only take place effectively in an atmosphere devoid of
authoritarianism. We will encourage and support civic education through the
national committees, the schools and the political parties so that the
citizens can play a more active and enlightened role in the political
development of the country.

An enlightened population will be a bulwark against political abuse of power
and defense against military interference in politics.

To be continued in next issue.