GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:55:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/2006 12:54:22 P.M.  Central Daylight Time, Gunjur
writes:
Brother Sidibeh,

You  wrote:

"NADD could have evolved into a society-oriented politcal
movement, i.e a political instrument that reorganises society as a way of
changing the state; as opposed to a state-based politcal group - which have
invariably failed everywhere in Africa. NADD could have forever altered the
nature of politics in Gambia!"

In deed this is true and that is why  we Gambians are so heartbroken over the
disintegration of the coalition with all  the possibilities it held for our
people at this critical hour and I cannot  imagine for one moment that those
who tossed it into the gutter in exchange for  self and personal interest can
have the interest of our people at heart and I  believe that no amount of
negotiation will bring them back to the table. They  are marching to the tune of a
different drummer. If a decision can be made to  abandon the idea of a
coalition at this critical juncture, we cannot waste time  on worrying about the
fragile egos of those who cannot withstand the heat of  scrutiny because of two
reason, they are aspiring for political office for the  wrong reason which in
turn does not serve the interest or purpose of the  aspiration or the people, and
 scrutiny will certainly reveal them for what  they are, self centered and
self perpetuating and those are not the  qualifications to fill the position.

Any unrealistic notions of a  reconciliation are just that, unrealistic
notions because it has been abundantly  clear that reconciliation is not on the
agenda in view of all that has  transpired and in view of all of the weak and
untruthful and insincere excuses  that have been rendered. Therefore, we should
desist from the fallacy that  reconciliation is a possibility now or in the
future. It is clear that the  UDP/NRP etc want reconciliation only according to
their own terms, that they  have the leadership, and without the term limit as
outlined in the NADD  agreement, even if this ensures that the APRC remain in
power and it is against  the interest of the people to continue to encourage
such modes of thinking. It  is a condition that is counter to the ideal of the
NADD agreement and it is  therefore an effort that was devised to abandon the
original agreement and  resort to force the hands of others after having
signed on to the original  agreement. It is most insincere and anyone who has the
interest of our country  at heart knows that what is needed now is not only to
dislodge the APRC regime,  but most importantly, to put into place an interim
government that will bring  about the needed reforms. The UDP/NRP does not
subscribe to this idea, they just  want power at any cost, the same as Yaya
Jammeh does instead of sacrificing  personal gain for the welfare of Gambians. We
cannot afford to encourage that at  all and they will never abandon those
aspirations and all they have said so far  is proof of this. So we will continue to
inform the people about those who  betray their interest.

You also wrote:

"Mr. Darboe, of course,  deserves much respect, but the party he leads, I
thought even then, came to be  the natural abode of disgruntled politicians and
businessmen made homeless by
APRC purges of the PPP and NCP. It posesses neither the ideological
conviction nor the organizational tradition to carry the struggle for power  beyond
mere protest against corruption and the excesses of an egoistic political  elite
feeding on the spoils of power. It cannot control and alter the role of
institutions even if it assumes state power. This conclusion
brings me to  the reason I think the coalition is of major importance"

I will add that  the UDP is not only "a natural  abode of disgruntled
politicians and  businessmen made homeless by APRC purges of the PPP and NCP" as you
rightly  stated, it is also a natural abode for the corrupt and inept former
PPP  officials with their trademark nepotism and tribalism and their use of
these  sentiments to divide our people and exploit them to satisfy their own
quest for  personal power, a quest in which the welfare of our people do not
feature at  all.

You also wrote:

"But where other variables such as  unprincipled rivalry, vanity, ethnic
identity,
acquisitiveness, fear and  even populism sway voter sentiments greatly,
violent criticism is often  taken personally. The effect is that the
prospects for a future confluence  of opposition parties becomes more remote
than formerly"

My response  to this is that it is time  that we stop babysitting the
politicians who  are driven by nothing but self interest because you see, the process
is not  about feeding any single individual's ego, but it is about the search
for the  most qualified to lead in all the aspects that qualification has to
be measured  by.  It is about educating the people so that we can free them
from the  bondage of being used as pawns by unscrupulous politicians in search
of personal  power alone and who neither posses nor have the capabilities nor
the conviction  to put the interest of the people first.  In-fact, we cannot
afford to feed  their vanities and lack of self confidence anymore, and if any
politician takes  criticism by the people personally, they are definitely in
the wrong business  and need to respectfully excuse us because we are not
looking for a sovereign  who is above reproach. We the People are looking for
someone to fill a position  and they will be scrutinized to see if they are
qualified for the Job. I think  too often, some of us tend to  forget this small but
very significant fact.  It is time to start educating our people to choose
according to these ideals  instead of continuing to feed the vanities of the wrong
people "just for the  time being".

We have to choose between the welfare of our people and our  country and
worrying about politicians taking criticism personally and if they  do take
criticism personally, it further reinforces the fact that they belong  elsewhere and
not in politics because in aspiring for political office, they  seek to
qualify for a job and those poised to "hire" them by casting their votes  will
scrutinize them to see if they are fit for the job. If they tend to forget  that
they are applying for a Job to serve the people and have to be qualified  for
the job, it is our duty to remind them.

And some may argue that most  of our people are ignorant about what qualifies
a person to run our national  affairs and instead are victims of exploitation
by devious politicians who have  encouraged them to make their decisions on
who to support based on some of the  variables you have mentioned, then if
those of us who say that we know what the  decisive criterion that is best for the
people to adopt in choosing our leader  do not prioritize educating and
exposing our people to that fact, then we are  not sincere at all.

Where the norm has been to have people cast votes  based on factionalism and
the insincere have created, nurtured and exploited and  continue to exploit
that most heinous of crimes against the people in The  Gambian as in the rest of
Africa, some of us believe that it is time for this to  come to an end. It is
time that all those who profess to care about the welfare  of Gambia and
Gambians, and indeed the welfare of Africans as a whole to step up  to the plate
and be on the side of the people for once, and to be part of the  process of
making sure that we weed out those who fail us time and again by  promoting
divisiveness and self interest above national interest even at the  most critical
of times as they are in The Gambia at this moment.
No time has  ever been darker  nor more critical in our history than the
nightmarish and  evil reign of the APRC regime. No generation of Gambians could
have ever  imagined that we would ever experience what the people are
experiencing under  the Jammeh regime. From corruption to cold blooded murder in broad
daylight, to  the resultant fear that has gripped our people, and most
surprising of all, to  the complacency that some of the populace have engaged in also
to satisfy their  own material interest.

In this light, any effort that would have made it  possible to dislodge these
gang of thugs is more precious than life itself.  Therefore, anyone whose
actions and choices to gamble with this effort to see if  they will win a coveted
position and thereby compromises such an effort cannot  have the interest of
our people at heart and therefore is in-fact an enemy to  our people because
they have made choices that leave them to the possibility of  continuing to
live under a regime where murder, disappearances and cold fear is  the daily
norm. No one who cares, loves and puts our people first would ever do  that and I
would even go so far as to say that they are an enemy to our people.  No one
can be allowed to hold the people hostage while they pursue a personal  quest
for power and to even suggest that we entertain such a thing nullifies any
other utterances that are made in support of liberating our people from  tyranny.

You also wrote:

"Since its formation in the mid eighties,  PDOIS behaved like a modern
politcal apparatus. It recorded and archived all  its ideas about governance,
presented its opinion about all issues of  national and regional
significance, debated and defended its positions on  these and operated
consistently as an alternative government. Because it  keeps records, and
because it can date(!) national events it has opened up  itself to probing
and and can easily allow for transparency and more  importantly, running an
effective adminstration. One might not like Foroyaa,  but one can remain
confident that it provides a consistent and progressive  source of political
currency, even if one may not agree with it at all  times. With sufficient
resources, such a politcal apparatus can create and  control a very strong
organisation,"

You are quite right and it is  quite evident that these are the building
blocks of good governance and there is  no doubt that even those who do not
support them, the people behind such an  organization not only have the ingredients,
the conviction, the dedication and  the capabilities to lead us into a bright
future, they stand out head and  shoulders among the political parties in our
country.  . Thus, in the  interest of moving our people and our country
forward, let all sincere Gambians  emulate them even if they do not support them
and concentrate our energies  towards educating our people about political
issues and their rights so that  they make choices correctly instead of making
excuses on behalf of those whose  actions have demonstrated without a doubt that
they are anathema to that effort.  That is the only way we can make real
progress towards shedding the yoke of  tyranny as opposed to just paying it lip
service while supporting inexcusable  behaviour that ensures taking one step
forward and two backwards.

Jabou  Joh

In a message dated 9/10/2006 9:05:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,