GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:19:50 +0800
Comrade:

It is disturbing that The Gambian dalasis
cannot maintain its value, relative to the
U.S. dollar.  If this trend continues, Gambians
will be unable to buy even cheap foreign goods.
The Gambian Dalasi stands at D16.93 against the
the US Dollar.  The Gambian Dalasi stood at D8.75
against the US Dollar in January 1993.

My assessment on this voluntary devaluation of
The Gambian Dalasi against major international
currencies is a testament that our export category
is not competitive.  There is too much reliance
on foreign goods, and thus with limited foreign
currency reserves, the Dalasi will continue to
decline.  This voluntary devaluation is a culprit
of unfavorable economic policies adopted by our
Central Bank.

The ministry of trade and industry should make
it possible for Gambians to export goods.  There
should not be a monopoly for only the selected
few to engage in this kind of trade.  The
ministry should adopt a liberal trade policy
in making it easier for any Gambian to import and
export goods.  As more goods reach our soil, the
merchants will be forced to lower prices because
there will be abundance of goods.  The only
negative impact is that our trade
gap between import and export will widened.  In
the long-run, the consumer will benefit.

Another major hurdle is total reliance on the
government as a source of employment.  With
limited resources of taxation, it is really a
struggle on the part of the government to meet
payroll obligations.  Gambians with skills should
take risks in creating jobs for the overall
success of our economic output.

Another detriment is the quality of education.
The ministry of education should make it a
priority in producing graduates that are
competitive in trades for the overall success
of our GDP.  Since very few graduates are
entering college, the obligation of our
education technocrats is to reinvent an
education system that concentrates in the
maximization of human capital.

National development cannot take place without
the government relaxing its law and order
policies.  The government should try to move
to the center, and have a more tolerant system
of politicking with its constituents.  The
opposition should also be willing partners
in our national development.  Both the
government and the oppostion should engage
in a position of trust.  There should not be
a dividing line as to our responsibility in
making The Gambia a better place for all.

Since the Dalasi has voluntarily devalued
almost 95%, I recommend that the government
takes a more liberal economic policy in allowing   the citizens of The Gambia to freely egage in
import and export ventures.  It is detrimental
to our economic output and also financially
hard on the consumers.  Our country cannot
continue to ignore the importance of a healthy
economy.

The Central Bank of The Gambia should avoid printing
too many Dalasis.  Printing of Dalasis will decrease
its value.  This is simple supply and demand.  Why
print when there is less demand?  Why print and freely
circulate the Dalasi in the economy without loaning
it to commercial banks at variable rates.  No thinking
eonomist would advocate a monetary policy based on
printing and dumping.  This is not a sound economic
policy.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency