GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bulli Dibba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:14:54 CST
Mariatou:
Thank you for your contribution,what a great observation by you.I agree
with you in total with regards to the ever ending blame game over thr
Gambia-L. Upon reading most of the postings, I get the impression that
almost every Gambian leaving in the West seem to blame the people in the
Gambia for the problems the country is facing today, especially the farmers
for voting into power the people of their choice.
I agree, we have important issues in the Gambia that neeeds to be addressed
seriouly and corrected.But it will take more than just blaming the
Government and the common Gambians back home.I have to say that for things
to change in the Gambia and for us to be able to effectively re-build our
nation,the Gambian intellectual powers leaving in the west would have to be
willing to compromise and sacrifice most of what is enjoyable in the
western societies, to go home and take part in the nation building.We owe
that to our people and to our families.Yes it is going to be hard but the
future outcome will out weigh the risk.
We  should put the past behind us and look into the future. If we can
reform ourselves, there is every reason to believe our best days are still
ahead. A renewed and reinvigorated Gambia that educates all its children
could come back again to become among the best countries to live in Africa.
We should return to teaching Gambians our spiritual and moral dimensions
and emphasize personal responsibility as much as individual rights.Until we
reestablish a legitimate pure African moral cultural standards and stop
trying to be Western our civilization is at risk.We must move to an
opportunity society and stop expecting too much from our Government.

Thanks
Bulli Dibba