GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:39:44 +0000
Culled from Allafrica.  This is a good day for Zambians and a clear message
to would be criminals.  No condition is parmanent and they better get their
reciepts in order because everything will be accounted for.  Please read on.

Chiluba Arrested for Theft

The Post (Lusaka)

February 25, 2003
Posted to the web February 25, 2003

Amos Malupenga, Sheikh Chifuwe And Brighton Phiri
Lusaka

FORMER president Frederick Chiluba was yesterday arrested for theft of K19
billion from public funds.

Police sources disclosed that Chiluba is jointly charged with former
intelligence chief Xavier Chungu while on other counts he is jointly charged
with former Zambia National Commercial Bank managing director Samuel
Musonda, his deputy George Mwambazi, former secretary to the treasury James
Mtonga, Ministry of Finance chief economist Bede Mpande and former
intelligence deputy director general Yotam Zulu. They are all charged with
theft by public servant.

Chiluba and Chungu are alleged to have on May 14, 1998 stolen US $50,000 on
cheque number 4938, the property of the government of Zambia which came into
their possession by virtue of the offices they held.

The duo are further alleged to have stolen US $125,000 on cheque number 6119
on June 30, 1998 while on December 22 the same year they are alleged to have
stolen US $148,030 cash.

This total of US $323,000 (about K1.6 billion), according to police sources,
relates to money used to pay for former presidential affairs minister Eric
Silwamba and former legal affairs minister Vincent Malambo's houses in Roma
township and Kabulonga, respectively who are not charged with him.

Chiluba and Chungu are further alleged to have used a total of K335 million
from government coffers towards the purchase of Manchinchi Bay in Siavonga
on behalf of the late local government minister Bennie Mwiinga.

In the other counts, Chiluba is alleged to have stolen a total of K17
billion whilst acting together with Samuel Musonda, Chungu, James Mtonga,
George Mwambazi, Bede Mpande and Yotam Zulu and others unknown.

And Chiluba was yesterday released on bail after appearing before magistrate
Chinyama in the afternoon. This followed his arrest at Woodlands Police
Station.

Public prosecutor John Katongo, in asking for an adjournment, told the court
that Chiluba was appearing alone because the other accused persons who are
jointly charged with him were advised to go to court on March 3.

Katongo said for that matter, Chiluba's case should just be mentioned as he
awaited the consolidation of the indictment next Monday.

Chiluba's lawyers - John Sangwa and Robert Simeza immediately applied for
bail. Sangwa said the prosecution did not object as long as Chiluba
surrendered his passport, which was not a problem.

Magistrate Chinyama said there been no objection from the prosecution, he
was granting Chiluba a K500 million bail in his own recognisance with two
working sureties in the like sum on the same condition.

The same conditions applied on the second indictment where Chiluba is
jointly charged with seven others.

Former information minister Vernon Mwaanga, former science and technology
minister Valentine Kayope, Chiluba's personal doctor Dr. Justine Kangwa, his
administrative secretary Mikatazo Wakumelo, Emmanuel Mwamba, and former
State House deputy minister Edward Chisha signed as sureties for Chiluba.

A total of K3 billion for Chiluba and all his sureties can only be paid if
he jumps bail.

And a source close to Chiluba said charges against Chiluba must be relevant
to offences he committed in his personal capacity for personal interests in
accordance with the lifting of the immunity.

Meanwhile, Chiluba's aunt - Joyce Chatupa Musuka yesterday said they were
bitter as a family.

Reacting to the arrest of Chiluba, Musuka said family members were
disappointed and distressed by the development.

"We are disappointed and we are bitter, we have never been told anything,"
Musuka said. "We are very disappointed and disgusted."

Musuka said President Levy Mwanawasa should have had the courtesy to ask
Chiluba about his suspicions of plunder of national resources instead of
working hard to have him arrested and humiliated.

She said President Mwanawasa was only determined to fix Chiluba.

"If he finds that our son is not giving him proper answers he could have
told the nation that 'I called my brother and this what we discussed and he
is not giving me the right things', and then he would have said 'let's take
him to the court of law', not the way he has done it," she said.

Musuka said the family was terribly shocked at the arrest of Chiluba.

"We don't know what crime our son has committed, there is no justice in this
country, only one person is ordering people what to do," she said. "He
(President Mwanawasa) said this country was going to be of laws and not of
men but the way we see it, he is the only one doing everything."

Musuka said the only crime Chiluba committed was nominating Mwanawasa to
contest the 2001 presidential elections on an MMD ticket.

She said the family was bothered that they all campaigned hard for President
Mwanawasa who does not seem to show appreciation.

"We are so shocked that this is a 'thank you' our son should get from
Mwanawasa. We never slept, we were campaigning day and night and he went
through," Musuka said. "We are now running around, taking our son in dirty
places, is this the justice we should get?"

Musuka warned President Mwanawasa against taking Zambians for granted saying
they were not idiots and were capable of distinguishing right things from
wrong ones.

She expressed confidence that "history will repeat itself".

Earlier at Chiluba's Kabulonga residence, Nigerian High Commissioner
Abironke Adefope paid a courtesy call on him few minutes before the Task
Force led by Robert Nyumbu picked him up around 12: 20 hours.

Adefope held a 30 minutes private talk with Chiluba before he was driven out
to Woodlands Police Station by his lawyer John Sangwa.

Others who accompanied Chiluba included his wife Regina, lawyer Robert
Simeza, Vernon Mwaanga and some family members.

A sizeable crowd gathered at the police station to have a glimpse of
Chiluba.

Chiluba was formerly arrested after warn and caution statements were
recorder from him for about two hours.

Soon after his arrest, Chiluba was driven to Chikwa court in a police
vehicle.