GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:55:59 EDT

[Mr. President, The mid-term review of the Millennium Declaration two years
ago indicates that the Millennium Development Goals are far from being
attained in most of the developing world. This notwithstanding, for us in The
Gambia, our commitment to the MDGs is unwavering. The overarching policy  objective
of the government, under the leadership of his Excellency the  President of
the Republic of The Gambia Alhaji Yahya AJJ Jammeh, is to reduce  poverty and
achieve all the MDGs. We have just concluded a Second Poverty  Reduction
Strategy Paper which clearly sets out our policy framework for  achieving growth and
poverty reduction despite our meager resources and  endowments, and despite
the failure of several partners to fulfil their pledges  of aid, debt relief,
and market access for African countries. The same mid-term  reviews showed that
the commitments that were made in many fora by the  international community
in support of the MDGs in poor countries have not  translated into real
resource flows into these countries. We therefore call on  the international
community to rededicate itself to the provisions of the  Monterey consensus, and the
Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness. In this  regard, my delegation welcomes
the panel of eminent personalities established by  former British Prime
Minister, Mr. Tony Blair, to monitor pledges made at the G8  summits including
those made at the Gleneagles Summit. My Delegation considers  it particularly
critical to take action to reverse the downward trend in  overseas development
financing.]

I sit and wonder whether there is a gap in understandings between the
developed countries and the developing countries when it comes to the UN. Or is  it
that Gambian officials have not read or did not understand the Millennium
Declaration. I had thought that my review of our speech at the UN would be on
the premise that we understand the basic elements of the subject matter.
However, our speech indicates there may be a deficit of critical information.
Therefore, I present some relevant sources of information and I encourage all my
colleagues to read these documents as we review our state:
_http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/goals.html_
(http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/goals.html)
_http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mi/pdf/MDG%20Book.pdf_
(http://unstats.un.org/unsd/mi/pdf/MDG%20Book.pdf)

In September 2000, The UN Millennium Summit took place. 189 nations
participated. 147 of those nations adopted some goals targeted to be  accomplished by
the year 2015. It was then up to those nations to devise  policies and plans
toward accomplishing those goals. The goals are 7 in number  and to assist less
able nations, they added an eighth goal to form  development partnerships in
their various journeys toward the common goals. The  UN promised to undertake
monitoring and encouragement of these nations and  partnerships and so they
produce reports every so often to track progress. A  report was completed in
2003, 2005, and recently in 2007. The second URL  above is the 2005 Report. The
Millennium Declaration does not place any  obligation on any participating
nation to give anything to any other idiot. The  relevant development partnerships
must be consulted to review promises and  contracts among nations. It is sort
of like a Pair Effort where nations  associate themselves with other desiring
nations and partner toward achieving  the Global Millennium Goals.

Now then, as you can see, the 8 goals are:
1. Eradicate extreme Poverty and hunger.
2. Achieve universal primary education.
3. Promote gender equality and empower women.
4. Reduce Child mortality.
5. Improve maternal health.
6. Combat HIV / AIDS, malaria, and other diseases.
7. Ensure environmental sustainability.
8. Develop a global partnership for development.

It is no accident that the goals appear in the order that they do. It means
that goals 1 thru 7 must be achieved in tandem with goal 8 or perhaps better
before goal 8 can harness values. For example; you would not expect Gambia  to
participate in trade anywhere on an equal footing with Senegal if Gambia does
 not make any meaningful effort toward eradicating extreme poverty and
hunger,  achieving universal primary education, promoting gender equality and the
empowerment of women, reducing child mortality, prevalence of HIV/AIDS, and
malaria, in an environmentally sustainable manner. Nor would you ask Spain to
absorb Gambia's diseased and ill-prepared children. In effect, instead of
lament  Gambia's lack of Millennium Development partners or donations from more
developed countries, I think the Vice President ought to have shared what
concrete steps her administration has taken in achieving any of the goals  of the
MDG. In fairness to her, Ajaratou, the vice president has shared that her
administration has just (in 2007), concluded their second Poverty Reduction
Strategy Paper. And she shares that burden with her delegation to the UN. A
question then arises: Why since 2000 when the MDGs were adopted, that The Gambia
government has only embarked on the production of policy papers? How  many
strategic policy papers do they intend to produce before they begin  implementing
any one of them? And are those strategy papers dependent on gifts,  grants, and
circumstance from generous countries? How do they intend to find  those
generous countries therefore? I remembered an opportunity they squandered  in
receiving aid from the US based on the Millennium Project. That aid went to  Ghana
instead and Ghana is putting it to good use. I recommend Gambia take a  look
at Ghana's representative's speech on this issue of beggars and  spoilers.

[Mr.  President, The mid-term review of the Millennium Declaration two  years
ago  indicates that the Millennium Development Goals are far from  being
attained  in most of the developing world.]

The hon.  Ajaratou informs the UN delegates that the 2005 Millennium
Development  Progress Report demonstrates that the goals are far from being
attained
in most of the developing world. Since the Hon. Vice President is not
representing any other of the developing world, I presume she misspoke here.
She
meant to say that the report indicates that the goals are far from  being
attained
in The Gambia. This is critical because what Banana  republics do  is hide
their non-performance in larger non-performances  of phantom nations in
order
that their non-performance becomes part of  a larger intractable malaise
with
their hands out perpetually for  gifts. If we compare the Hon.'s speech with
speeches of other  countries such as Kufuor of Ghana's speech, we see that
other
countries speak of their own experiences and efforts. Only where it comes  to

global conflict, disaster, and or other issue of global  ramification, do
they
speak to the wisdom of other nations. It is high  time Gambia learn that She
has  responsibility for itself and that her  urgencies do not constitute
emergencies  for other nations. Besides,  you cannot appeal to the greater
wisdom of
others by  abdicating your  own responsibilities. We will speak to this more
later. I am  duly  informed that the Hon.'s speech was prepared by the
Taiwanese
Embassy   or that it was reviewed for approval by said embassy and that the
Embassy  facilitated her very trip to the UN Assembly. I hope that is  not
true
because if  it is, it will constitute grounds for charges of  persona non
grata and
the cessation of diplomatic relations with Taiwan. I  urge  Taiwan's
restraint in micro-managing Gambia's foreign policy  and  international
representation.
They will look more like Pimps   than development partners. Services in
expectation of consideration or  vice  versa constitute coercion and where
those
considerations are  offered public  officials, False agency becomes issue.

Barring  evidence of Taiwanese coercion and bribery, we understand that  The
Gambia is far from attaining any of the goals of the Millennium   Declaration.

[This notwithstanding, for us in The Gambia, our commitment  to the  MDGs is
unwavering.]

How so Madam Vice  President?

[The overarching policy objective of the government, under  the  leadership
of
his Excellency the  President of
the  Republic of The  Gambia Alhaji Yahya AJJ Jammeh, is to reduce poverty
and
achieve all the  MDGs]

We understand that HE may be committed to  attaining the MDGs. However,  it
may border on irresponsible to share  this with us and at the same time share

that the most that has been  achieved from 2000 up until now is the
compilation
of two strategic  policy papers. Unawares, Ajaratou, you are sharing that
while
HE's heart may  be in the right place, when it comes to performance of his
administration, you and your colleagues fall short of completing the  tasks
HE
delegates to you. We all know that a President forms overall  policy
objectives
and then delegates implementation tasks to SOS and  Permanent Secretaries.
The
world is changing rapidly. You must assist the  President in achieving or
at least effort to make headway on his policy  objectives. HE cannot possibly
do your  work for you as much as he may  have a big heart. We cannot go
through
life  thinking that as long as  we keep singing praises to HE, we are under
no
obligation to fulfil  our responsibilities. HE himself advises you as much.
This  is grossly  unjust to invoke HE's name in malfeasance and
non-performance.
Indeed,  HE ascented to the Millennium Declaration and therefore his
overarching  goal will expectedly be to achieve the aims and  aspirations of
the
Declaration.  That is obvious. Now the rest of you  could assist him in
completing
those aims  and aspirations if you focus  on doing your work.

[We have just concluded a Second Poverty   Reduction Strategy Paper  which
clearly sets out our policy framework  for  achieving growth and  poverty
reduction despite  our meager resources and  endowments, and despite  the
failure of
several partners to fulfil their pledges  of aid, debt  relief,  and market
access for African countries.]

Ajaratou, may I remind you  that you must enter into partnerships first,
then
the partnerships  make pledges, and only them can you qualify the value or
lack thereof  of those partnerships. The way I see Gambia making partnerships

leaves  a lot to be desired. When you seek distressed nations such as Taiwan,

Cuba, Venezuela, and Iran, and you promise to do their bidding at the UN  in
exchange for consideration, that is not a genuine partnership in
development. At
least not as far as the MDGs are concerned. That  activity is sale of
services
for consideration. The only service you have  demonstrated that you can
offer is doing these nations' bidding at the  UN when you should be
representing
HE and Gambia. If you look at that  service more broadly, you will realize
that
the audience for your  bidding is not paying attention to you. They are
focused  on their own  efforts toward attaining the MDGs. You will be better
advised
to   facilitate conversation between China and Taiwan if your purpose is
sincere.  But  if you engage in garrulous gaucherie, you risk alienating
China
further, widening  their cultural gap with Taiwan, and when China  decides to
annex
Taiwan for good,  then you have no client in Taiwan.  The same goes for the
other
countries. When  you are charged with  policy-making, you train on diplomacy
for cooperative  negotiation.  Here you are trained on petty mischief-making
that will spill over  to  Gambia when it blossoms into a full-blown conflict
between the two  nations  who share the same culture. We have a similar
problem in
our  own backyard  involving our own peoples; Cassamance. If you cannot do
anything about that,  what makes you think you can bridge the gap  between
Taiwan
and China by taking  the side of Taiwan at China's  expense? It is high time
we
grow up. You are  squandering enormous  goodwill for HE and Gambia by
engaging
in petty  mischief-making. By  the way, did you know that certain debts are
being forgiven?  Gambia  has to negotiate for its own debts to be forgiven.
Do not
pretend to   speak on all Africa's behalf when you are not assigned that
responsibility.  This  insidious patronage of other is old. And no one
listens to
you anymore. People  are taking responsibility for their people and
garnering
more goodwill by the  day.

[The same mid-term   reviews showed that the commitments that were made  in
many fora by  the  international community in support of the MDGs in poor
countries have not  translated into real resource flows into  these
countries.]

Ajaratou, Which commitments were made in support  of the MDGs of Gambia in
any international fora?
NONE.

Will  you continue to breed hatred and animus among nations in the hope of
Resource flows from aversed countries? If the answer is yes then you  are
inadvertently sharing with us that Gambia's interests in  development lies in

formenting and maintaining conflict around the  world. Matkhaafsh min rabbak?
Are
you not afraid of Allah?

[We  therefore call on  the international community to rededicate  itself  to
the provisions of the  Monterey consensus, and the Paris   Declaration on Aid
Effectiveness.]

Word of advice! When you beg, it  will be valuable if you can address your
benefactor. Who is the  international community? Do they have their own MDGs
attain? I will  share with you some of the partnerships formed in this
regard:

UNDP/Japan Partnership to promote South-South  Cooperation

Civil society and the MDGs

UNVs and  MDGs

UNDP/UNEP Poverty-environment partnership (This realizes the  correlation
between environmental stewardship and  poverty-reduction.

UNDP/UN ESCAP/ADB Asia and the Pacific.

These  and many other resources are available for Gambia and other nations
utilize. They however have benchmarks to be achieved. Yes  performance-based.

So we better Taka Ndiga and giddy up.

[We  therefore call on  the international community to rededicate  itself  to
the provisions of the  Monterey consensus, and the Paris   Declaration on Aid
Effectiveness. In this  regard, my delegation  welcomes
the panel of eminent personalities established by   former British Prime
Minister, Mr. Tony Blair, to monitor pledges made  at the G8  summits
including
those made at the Gleneagles  Summit.]

The key word here is monitor. Even Allah does not  give  money to a lazy and
clueless person. Allah gave money to HE and he  built a  farm to feed his
people.
Can you not get a clue?

[My  Delegation considers  it particularly critical to take action  to
reverse
the downward trend in  overseas development financing.]

I hate  to inform you that there is no action to be taken where there is no
need for action. The world likes peace and tranquility. Speak with Blair and
he
will advise you wisely.

It is highly irresponsible to keep throwing around words like  "international
community", "overseas development financing",  "foreign  Direct investment",
etcetera just because they sound good to the illiterate. The  reason is
because they do not address anyone nor do they address any tangible  property. These
words belong in a choir. I have been taught that when you have a  problem, it
helps to be able to clearly define your problem, and generate  criteria for
evaluating solutions. When you come across insurmountable tasks  while you
effort to solve your problem, seek help honourably. You must not be  ashamed to
seek help or to admit your shortcomings. If I were the  international community
or the overseas (By the way, what about the overland?  What about the sea that
conjures up images of bounty on its yonders?), and you  present this speech
to me, I will understand that you have a severe problem and  you are seeking
help. And if I wish to help you, I would not know how to help  you. At least
help me understand the nature of your problem and what area you  need assistance
in. Don't just tell me you have a problem with "not enough  money". We all
have that problem.

Madam Vice President, the advice I give you here is very valuable and I
don't normally give it for free. But if your aim is to complete the desires of  HE
for Gambia, then I am gladly offering it to you and your administration.  I
will ignore the rest of your speech because as am sure you will agree with me,
the remainder is insignificant as far as HE and Gambians are concerned. I
understand you are a Doctor, in what, I do not know, nor is that valuable  at
this critical national juncture of demonstrated malaise. When I next speak  with
you and my fellow citizens, I will share with you concrete steps  toward
achieving the Millennium Development Goals, and how you can attract  benevolent
development partners who are also focused on their own MDGs. I  understand that
perceptual obstacles are related to peoples' inability to  visualize remote
relationships or to make the link between cause and effect (T.  Jewell, A
Systems Approach to civil Engineering Planning and Design, 1986,  Harper and Row,
P.3) as our friend JDAM will agree. I am no doctor.  Just a fellow citizen whose
heart is trained on commoner good.

Thank you Madam, Ajaratou, and colleagues for your audience. Please  discard
the two strategic policy papers you have been compiling for  the past 7 years.
We do not have any more time to squander. Let your SOS  and their
under-secretaries to expect to really do some work for a change.

Haroun Rashid. AL Khairawan. MQDT.  Darbo.