GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:27:30 -0000
Prince,

Because I'm dog tired, all I can say is: a superb analysis! Your insight
coming right after Bamba Lye's, clearly demystifies  the notion that Yaya
Jammeh is doing anything substantive back home. It never ceases to amaze me
how educated people like Mr. Nying fall for superficial a.k.a. propaganda
ploys by the likes of Jammeh. Going by any real measure of human
development, The Gambia under Yaya Jammeh is, and has been in a free fall.
That is the sad fact.

I'd like to add though that people like Mr. Nying should not be too
sensitive to our criticisms of the govt. As far as I'm concern, that is
directed at the highest echelons of this criminal govt. Indeed, there are
some very decent Gambians in the civil service who in their hearts truly
love that nation. And they strive to do what's best for The Gambia daily.
Unfortunately for them, they're in the un-eviable position of trying to do
good in an EVIL system! They're being stymied and frustrated daily by orders
from "the un-enlightened" top. My heart goes out to them. I'd like to think
that Mr. Nying belongs to this group, because it's due to their resilience
and sometimes silent resistance that the bottom hasn't totally fallen out
from under The Gambia. Left to Yaya Jammeh and his gang alone, there won't
be a Gambia as we know it at this point. I guess we don't say that enough
here. Thus, some people feel we're against the civil service. We're not.
Like Bamba Lye and yourself demonstrated, the "achievements" cited by Mr.
Nying may look good when viewed in isolation. But when one takes the general
state of affairs in The Gambia into consideration, these "achievements'
really don't amount to one hill-of-beans, because the average Gambian is
faring increasingly worse off under the circumstances. I'm too tired to go
on...

Great job, and Good night!

Saul.