GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin B Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:30:51 EST
Gambia-L,
I want to agree with some of the suggestions that the problem probably is as
a result of the volume of calls going into the Gambia from around the world.
Because of Gamtel's inability to cope with such huge call volumes,one spends
a whole day trying to get through to someone in Gambia but all he/she hears
is an engage tone or no ringing tone at all.

Couple of days ago, i had an important call from Gambia that i should call a
certain individual and its urgent! I tried for 3hrs but to no avail using a
communications company which i normally use to call home and has been working
until that day.

Out of deperation, I tried using my home phone knowing it'll cost me a
fortune I still went ahead to dial thinking I will go through at once I was
wrong! I spend another good half hour still no success. I then phone my phone
company complaing that I have been trying to call Gambia but could not go
through.I then was put through to the International operator who informed me
that there will be a charge if he put me through which I agree cos I had no
choice.

Amazingly,it was a matter of seconds b4 I heard the phone ringing! I had to
do this on three occasions cos I needed to speak to three different people.

So i really want to believe that Gamtel has to try and work on that so people
can be able to speak to their families whenever they wish to. I know its
difficult for them, but that's the reality and we've got to accept it! I'm
other people who live here in The UK will tell you a similar thing so I
really do not think its got much to do with calling card companies.

Merry Christmas to our Christian friends and to Muslims, Eid Mubarak.

Lamin B Jammeh.
Bedford,UK.