GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 21:15:06 -0800
Hi folks,

First, I'd like to join all who have expressed their gratitude to Maila, Mariam,
Abdoulie, Sainey, Albury, Haruna, Sigga, Ya Soffie, Yankuba and the whole gang for
the wonderful job they did getting medication to The Gambia!  Njaraama!  May God
reward you handsomely for your efforts.

Second, thanks to Lamin Jeng for forwarding Supreme Court verdict about the Indemnity
Act.  I agree with the many who have expressed their happiness that the Supreme Court
has handed down the judgement.  The decision is a milestone in Gambian legal history,
and I'm sure will greatly help the struggle for the rule of law in The Gambia.

Speaking of Gambian courts, I should mention that I found it interesting that Justice
A. O. Belgore stopped at castigating the NIA following their failure to produce the
Gambian journalist, Alhagie Mbye in court.  From what I understand, the NIA's refusal
would, in another time and place, have warranted their being charged with contempt of
court.  But then again, I guess the Judge might have been excercising his
prerogerative of deciding whether or not to charge them with contempt of court.

May I also add that I find a parallel between the fact that so many of the State
Counsels are Nigerian, just like former President Jawara had Nigerian soldiers
providing him security.  We all know what happened to him.  Furthermore, it is
interesting that by and large, it is the Gambian lawyers that are defending Gambians
in court.  In short, it seems we have Nigerian lawyers representing the government in
cases where Gambians have been given rough justice.  In my humble opinion, we all
should start asking ourselves whether these Nigerians have the best interests of our
country at heart.  A much better situation in my view (and if one can call it that),
would have been to have our disputes between ourselves, and not have Nigerians
involved in them.

And finally, thanks to Abdoulie Saine for his paper on the recently concluded Gambian
elections.  I haven't yet read through all of it, but I like the crux of what I've
read so far.  It was nice of Ablie that he took the time to put his thoughts to
paper, and share them with us.  The Gambia certainly stands to gain a lot from such
quality-contributions to our national dialog.  And please remember that I say this
without necessarily saying whether or not I agree with the thesis of Ablie's paper.
I just think it's great to have all these ideas being shared.

I guess that's about it!  Have a great week, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Katim