GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 13:17:52 -0700
All indications are that the school is letting stand their invitation of Yaya.  Below is a letter I drafted and will email/fax once I leave work.  You may adopt it or send your own but we have to protest this school's position.  Their web address is WWW.SMCM.EDU  Here are a few email addresses

president - [log in to unmask]
director of the center for the study of democracy - [log in to unmask]
registrar - [log in to unmask]
office of public and media relations - [log in to unmask]
gazette newspaper - [log in to unmask]
point newspaper - [log in to unmask]

Beginning of letter -

May 11th, 2004

Ms. Jane Margaret O'Brien
President, St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Road
St. Mary's City MD. 20686-3001

Dear President O'Brien,

We've received information, confirmed by the registrar's office, that St. Mary's College of Maryland has invited Yaya Jammeh, the president of The Republic of The Gambia, to be the keynote speaker at your school's commencement celebrations, on May 15th, 2004.  As concerned Gambians, many of us having been at the receiving end of his tyranny, your school's invitation to him is deeply troubling.

President O'Brien, a brief visit to the State Department's web site would have acquainted the school with what obtains in our country, which would have steered your institution clear away from Jammeh and invite someone worthy of the honor.  It is, however, not too late to do the decent thing, in the name of all those students whose murder he sanctioned and the independent press who endure harassment on a daily basis, their properties burnt to ashes and their reporters detained and tortured.

Since 1994, repression of the masses in whatever form suits his fancy has been Jammeh's modus operandi - we have known only terror and intimidation under his Armed Forces Provisional Ruling Council.  In his desperate search for credibility and legitimacy, Yahya Jammeh and his handlers have, unfortunately, latched on to your school, hoping to derive from you what he cannot get from citizens of his own country.

President O'Brien, your invitee has a morbid fear of ideas, which is why, as recently as this April, the one independent Newspaper in the country had their offices burnt, again, along with their new printing press.  Thankfully, the staff escaped death.

Below are just some of the reasons why we ask you to reconsider this decision and rescind the invitation of president Jammeh as the keynote speaker at your commencement celebrations.

1.      In April 2004, there was arson attack that destroyed everything in the building of the Independent Newspaper, including their recently procured printing press.

2.      On December 26, 2003, the regime attempted to assassinate Ousman Sillah, a prominent Gambian Human Rights lawyer. He was shot at least three times.  Miraculously, he survived.  President Jammeh went on national television and blurted out the shameless remarks that "my soldiers are professional soldiers, they will not shoot at anybody three times and miss."  We expect no effort from the state to bring these "terrorists" to justice.

3.      On September 20, 2003, the office of the Independent Newspaper was firebombed in the ominous hours of the night inflicting severe eye injuries on the night watchman. Again, no investigation has been conducted.

4.      On August 11th, 2001, the FM1 radio station was fire bombed during which the owner George Christensen almost lost his life. Again no investigation was conducted and the original.

5.      On April 10 and 11, 2000, the Gambia Student Union (GAMSU) organized a peaceful demonstration for redress in support of two fellow students, Binta Manneh, a victim of rape by paramilitary soldiers and Ebrima Barry, a victim of physical abuse by the Fire and Ambulance services.  During the demonstration protesting the abuse of the students at the stadium and at the firehouse, 14 children were murdered in cold blood at his behest and he subsequently offered extra judicial protection to those who followed orders and pulled trigger.

6.      On June 23, 1995 the regime's first Minister of Finance, Ousman Koro Ceesay was found burnt to death in his official government car.  Until this day no investigation has been carried out to rule out foul play or accidental death.

We have pictures of the burnt remains of the Independent Newspapers' offices and printing press.  We have pictures of  those students who are maimed for life.  Not to mention the pictures to evidence the torture of opposition political parties in prison. These can all be sent to you if you so desire.

We sincerely hope that you will lead your institution in doing the right thing and un-invite president Jammeh.  Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,
Soffie Ceesay
Concerned Gambian
Silver Spring, Maryland