GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:29:23 -0400
Comrades:

The incident in Brufut should serve as a testament
for those of us who are fortunate to have means
in not depending on farming.  Our parents, brothers
and sisters who have enjoyed farming and are entrusted
with land ownership from generations to generations are
being encroached by lack of proper economic planning
by these greedy proprietors.  Investors in these kind
of ventures should seek other long-term investments for
the greater benefit of the Gambian society.  Real estate
devolopment is minimal, especially when there are few
private sector employees who might have the resources
to buy these houses.

We must therefore seek to form an organization to
serve as an umbrella group in protecting the Gambian
farmer.  Going back to the early 7os in the Kombo St.
Mary area, I remember freely walking from Bakau to
Serra Kunda and greeting farmers as they worked on their
farms.  With the inconsistencies and lack of proper
planning by Sir Dawda's legal government, the ministry
of local government gradually displaced these farmers
without providing long-term economic solutions to the
plights of the Gambian farmers.  As people increased
migrating to the Kombo St. Mary area, the Gambian
farmers' economic prowess became extinct.  Poverty
and lack of proper distribution of wealth gradually
became evident in these affected areas.

As we fight this illegal government, we must engage
the opposition to clearly define to us its
position, especailly in urban encroachment.  Is it
feasible to post a school teacher to a locality when that
same school teacher can teach in his native village?
Why centralize ministerial departments in one region,
when you can serve the Gambian people better by
bringing their governments to them?  Why abandon
Banjul and not find solutions in preventing the
mighty Gambian River from swallowing this beautiful                         city?  Why make Banjul a ghost city?  This kind of
leadership must change.

As we move in the new century, the illegal government
of the day has made it a priority in taking land from
the Manneh Kunda Kabilo.  What right does an illegal
government have in denying the rightful owners the
freedom of ownership.  As Mr. Mustapha Njie dreams of
increasing his wealth, he is gradually setting economic
disparity in Brufut.  As an entrepreneur envisions                    development, he or she must be careful in not tipping                        the scale to a position of economic disadvantage                          for the natives.  This in simple economic theory is called
disequilibrium.

I have read comments for and against this land dispute.
I was totally shocked to hear from an elder brother who
evoked tribalism in this dispute.  I asked Mr. Nyang,
what actually has gone wrong with your thinking?
I thought we live in a non-tribal society, and as such,                     there is no parallel to ownership and tribalism.                            The right to ownership cannot and should not be disturbed,                   especially when the illegal government is trying to                          correct a wrong with a wrong.

As a product of the farm system, I cannot sit and let
these greedy entrepreneurs invade traditional Gambian
land ownership.  This tradition is deeply rooted from
Serre Kunda to Basse, Fatoto, Saloum, Badibous and the
rest of the country.  It is dangerously unfair to the
Kombo people that their land can belong to the govenment
and that if you come from other parts of the Gambia, you
have the inherent right to peaceful land ownership.  What
kind of law is this?  Why victimize the Kombos?  Are we
not all Gambians?  It is sad that some farmers in the
Kombos walk almost four miles to the nearest plot of
land to farm, as compared to few years ago when they only
walked may be a mile.  By the time our dear relatives
get to their farms, they are already exhausted to do any
meaningful farming.

I felt that as a Gambian it is my duty to fight for the
Gambian farmer.  I have enjoyed years of farming, and
without this treasured tradition, I might not have
the opportunity that I enjoyed today.  The question is,
will you sit and let a profession that fed, clothed and
educated you, be slowly encroached by lack of economic
vision?  My answer is that we have a duty to respond.

From this unfair law, I am appealing to those interested
to form a support group in helping the Gambian farmer.
I appeal that we contribute to a fund in helping the
Manneh Kunda Kabilo and the rest of innocent Gambian
farmers whose land might be earmarked for this unfair law.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh