GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 06:07:20 -0500
Date: September 4 2002
By Tim Butcher in Johannesburg

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe and his closest ally have launched a
highly personal attack on the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair,
effectively hijacking the earth summit to blame Britain for Zimbabwe's
crisis.

"Blair, keep your England and let me keep my Zimbabwe," the 78-year-old
leader declared to loud applause on Monday.
His outburst - and an attack by his friend, Sam Nujoma, the Namibian
president - upstaged Mr Blair's speech during a flying visit to the
summit and his attempt to highlight Britain's commitment
to environmental targets.

Mr Mugabe had taken his seat at the Johannesburg conference to hear
opening remarks by the United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan.
Within an hour he had slouched in his chair with his eyes closed and
appeared to be asleep. But he was galvanised into action when Mr Blair
walked in.

He jumped to his feet and stalked out, reappearing only as Mr Blair
wound up his six-minute speech. After the walk-out, the Namibian leader
took up the cudgels. The Prime Minister sat stony-faced.

Diplomats had moved Mr Blair's speaking slot from the afternoon because
it was close to that of Mr Mugabe, but they failed to anticipate Mr
Nujoma's attack.
"Here in southern Africa we have one problem and it was created by the
British," Mr Nujoma said. "The Honourable Tony Blair is here and they
created the situation in Zimbabwe."

Mr Blair was not in the chamber when Mr Mugabe departed from his
prepared text on sustainable development to make his most inflammatory
remarks.

"Sustainable development is not possible without agrarian reforms that
acknowledge that land comes first before all else and that all else
grows from the land," he said. "In our situation, this fundamental has
pitted the black majority against an obdurate and internationally well-
connected racial minority, largely of British descent, brought in and
sustained by British colonialism, now being supported and manipulated
by the Blair Government."

Mr Mugabe's remarks on Zimbabwe sovereignty generated most applause.

"We do not mind having and bearing sanctions banning us from Europe. We
are not Europeans. We have not asked for any square inch of that
territory," he said. "So, Blair, keep your England and let me keep my
Zimbabwe."

Mr Mugabe's words divided the summit between the developing and the
developed worlds. But the generally positive reaction to the outbursts
underlined how the indignation felt by Britain, Europe and America at
Mr Mugabe's land-grab policy is not shared by many in Africa.

The Telegraph, London