GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamila Allston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:20:06 -0800
Brother Babucar,

Thanks for your comments and personal insight.  For us as a people to
continue to assert that there are only 2 options for Africans
(Christianity and Islam) and then to too often engage in a diatribe as
to which is more civilized and that anything other is "demonic",
"uncivilized", etc. is very dangerous and attests to the extent of the
damage and success of the forces of oppression, colonization and
religious expansion (European and Arab). It encompasses all of us to
cease from viewing the world and ourselves through such a limited
indoctrinated manner, to remember the proud people we were as Africans
(especially south of the Sahara ) prior to the vicious reign of
colonization by both the European and Arab invaders.

Just as an abused child ultimately takes on the attributes of his
abuser/tormentor, the same holds true for the millions of Africans both
at home on the Continent of Africa and those stolen and dispersed
throughout Africa and the Caribbean who were forced to accepted
Christianity and Islam through brutality and force.  Just as
Christianity was spread through fear and violence (the Crusades, etc.)
the same holds true for Islam which imposed on Black Africans (submit
to the will of Allah or die by the sword).  Any religion or way of life
that demands that we must negate who we are as a people and further
demands that we look upon our past, history and continuing aspects of
our African rituals that have not been completely submerged with
contempt because it does not fit in with the professed propaganda of a
specified way of life (religious or political) is and will always be
Suspect and Detrimental to African People.

As Youssour Ndour implored/sang at his recent concert in NY, "Africans,
My Hope Is In You... and further implored us to stop our fighting, to
stop wagging war... to stop killing ourselves... as Africans Are Dying
Throughout The Continent. It is of necessity that we stop denying the
beauty of who we were (our greatness, our culture and religions) before
the brutal onslaught of Christianity and Islam throughout Africa.
Recognition of this reality does not mean that we suddenly and
arbitrarily re-convert to functioning as we did in the past.  But to
continue to despise ourselves in such a manner and to take on an
attribute (way of life) that essentially indicates that "The Only Good
African Is One Who Either Follows Christianity or Islam" only serves to
remind us that The Process Is Almost Complete.  I truly hope and pray
to the spirit of our ancestors that this is not so!

                                Jamila