GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:19:08 -0400
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 46/2006, 15-18 June, 2006

Editorial
SECRETARY OF STATE FOR INTERIOR SHOULD
FOLLOW THE MATTER UP
The AU Summit is fast approaching. Needless to say, the Independent Electoral Commission has decided to hold supplementary registration during the period of the Summit. The registration should therefore be done appropriately so that there will not be any headlines making allegations of ID Card fraud while the heads of states are here. Efforts were made to reach the Secretary of State when some Immigration Officials started to issue Identity cards in a home. The suspicion is that such ID Cards may be presented to acquire Voters cards in a fraudulent manner. To avoid any wrong doing, the IEC, the Department of Immigration and other stakeholders had been asked to send observers to find out for themselves what was going on near the Tallinding Police Station. Foroyaa will interview those officials to find out what they saw in the interest of transparency and accountability.
In our view, the Secretary of State for Interior should speak to the Director of Immigration to find out what was reported and the step taken to ensure that the right thing is done. We expect him to call a press conference or issue a press release to assure the public that ID cards should not be issued in a private residence; that it shall be given to people who are entitled to it and that it is illegal for anyone who is not a citizen to acquire a Gambian ID card.
In the same vein, the IEC should reconsider the dates of the supplementary registration of voters. The period of the AU Summit is the wrong period to have registration of voters. It does not stand the test of reason or security. We hope all the stakeholders will add their weight to facilitate a postponement so that none will be deprived of getting a card because of the factors surrounding the Summit. Of course, the IEC has full constitutional authority to determine dates to conduct registration. Foroyaa cannot dictate the commissioners.
However, we can speak our minds while hoping that they will listen to wise counsel.

PAUL’S COMMISSIONS RECOMMENDATIONS SQUASHED
Justice A.M. Dordzie of the Banjul High Court has delivered a ruling in favour of Pap Cheyassin Secka who filed a motion in Court challenging the decision of the commission of inquiry that was presided over by Justice Paul.
In delivering her ruling, Justice Dordzie said the grounds of the application are set out in the statement dated 9th June 2005 as follows:
1. The adverse finding made by the commission against the applicant was made in excess of or without jurisdiction.
2. The said adverse findings were actuated by bias and/or malice and by collusion.
3. The notice of adverse recommendations dated 21st March 2005 is in violation of section 204 (1) of the 1997 constitution.
4. The said adverse recommendations violate the rules of natural justice in that the applicant was never given the opportunity to react to matters implicating him and arising out of his testimony as a witness.
5. The commission failed to make a full and impartial investigation in to the matter in respect of which it is established.
6. The notice of adverse recommendations dated 21st March 2005 is invalid and/or illegal in that an error of law appears on the face of the record.
Justice Dordzie said there was no evidence before the commission to show that Pap Cheyassin’s standard of living does not commensurate with his past or present emolument while serving as a public officer.
Justice Dorszie further indicated that on March 22, 2005, Pap Cheyassin received a notice of adverse recommendations dated 21st of March from the commission.  She said the notice of adverse recommendations did not give any reasons for the adverse recommendation and the adverse recommendations pertain to matters related to his activities as a private citizen who had ceased to be a public officer.
Justice Dordzie said, “it is the contention of the applicant that the adverse recommendations are outside the terms of reference of the commission.
The adverse recommendations were made in excess or without jurisdiction and were made out of collusion between Saffie Secka (Pap Cheyassin’s wife) and the Chairman of the commission.  In proof of this allegation, the applicant further deposed that during the pendency of the commission’s proceedings, the chairman (Justice Paul) held clandestine and unofficial meetings with his son, ex wife, his cousin and his wife in the chairman’s house and at the Jewish temple in Lamin.”
Justice Dordzie said she has found from the facts stated in the additional affidavit supporting this application that there was a real likelihood of bias on the part of the commission when it made the adverse recommendations against the applicant.
The learned Judge concluded by ordering that the decision of the commission of inquiry into the Assets, Properties and Activities of public officers from July 27, 1994 to 2004 Titled adverse recommendations dated 17 March brought before the Court for the purposes of being squashed, is squashed

ID CARDS ISSUED FROM A RESIDENCE
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
National Identity Cards were being issued in a residential compound called Tamba Kunda in Talinding Kunjang. When Foroyaa received information about the issue of National Identity cards from a private residence, I was assigned to investigate the matter. Upon arrival I could notice a long queue of people looking for ID Cards. I discovered that four Immigration Officers were conducting the exercise in a compound called Tamba Kunda. I could see a green APRC flag fluttering on top of the roof of one of the buildings in that compound. I also noticed some applicants loitering in the vicinity of the compound with ID Card forms. I spoke to some of the applicants who told me that they are non Gambians who were asked by an APRC Yai Compin to go to Tamba Kunda to get an ID Card, which would enable them to get a voter’s card to vote for the APRC.
Three women carrying babies told me that their husbands had already got ID Cards that morning and they were hoping to get theirs before the end of the day. They acknowledged that all of them come from Guinea Conakry and have spent only three years in The Gambia. A middle aged man who said he is from Guinea Bissau told me that an APRC Yai Compin asked him to go and get an ID Card to enable him to get a Voter’s Card in order to vote for Yaya Jammeh. Likewise an old woman hailing from Cassamance narrated the same story, pointing out that she was asked to go to the Alkalo of Tallinding to get an attestation for the ID Card. She further stated that she had never attempted to acquire a Gambian document but this time an APRC Yai Compin gave her D110 to pay for the ID Card. A young man claming to hail from Cassamance made similar remarks.
Upon enquiry I was informed that a fee of D110 was paid for each card. The D10 was meant for the form and the D100 for the fee.
The mobilisation of people including foreigners by APRC Yai Compins to get ID Cards in order to enable them to get Voter’s Cards and vote for APRC is not restricted to Tallinding alone. A resident of Ebo Town informed that an APRC Yai Compin in their area has been actively mobilising residents of Ebo Town to get ID Cards so that they can be registered during the forthcoming supplementary registration of voters from 19th June to 2nd July. When I contacted the Immigration PRO he maintained that the Department of Immigration are only issuing Identity Cards at public places like bantabas and not in a private residence.
For the information of the reader the production of a National Identity Card at a registration centre is sufficient prove of citizenship. Yesterday morning, I went to the area and found people queuing for ID Cards. While I was standing outside Tambakunda (where the ID cards were being issued), a double cabin Immigration pick up with registration number GID 11 arrived at the place at around 9.10 am. Five Immigration Officers disembarked from the vehicle and started calling out the names of the people who should collect their ID cards.
I saw people going in and out of the next compound. They held forms in their hands. I was told that an APRC Yai Compin was giving cash to people who could not afford the cost of ID cards. I saw a middle aged woman sitting outside the compound. She was filling forms for applicants and a photographer was sitting three metres away from her.

FARMERS OWED MILLIONS OF DALASIS
By Abdoulie G. Dibba
The Majority Leader of the National Assembly, Hon. Churchil Falai Baldeh has indicated that operators are owing farmers millions of dalasis. Mr. Baldeh made this statement during the adjournment debate on Monday. Hon. Baldeh indicated that the Federation of Agricultural Cooperatives (FACS) alone is owing the farmer D12 million (Twelve Million Dalasis) and that The Gambia Groundnut company (GGC) is owing the farmers D22 million (Twenty-two million dalasis). As for The Gambia Agricultural Marketing Company (GAMCO), Hon. Baldeh said it does not only owe the farmers, but the Public Corporations in the country. The Majority Leader called on his colleagues to assume their responsibility as an oversight institution, Hon. Baldeh reminded his colleagues that they have sworn to uphold and defend the constitution and to perform the function of National Assembly Members without fear or favour, affection and ill-will.

HALIFA DWELLS ON DETENTION BEYOND 72 HOURS
By Abdoulie G. Dibba
The Minority Leader of the National Assembly, Halifa Sallah, has indicated that the preamble of the constitution which is the spirit of the constitution that state that the fundamental rights and freedoms enshrined in the constitution will ensure for all time respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedom for all, without distinction as to ethnic considerations, gender, language or religion. “In acknowledging our fundamental rights, we also affirm our duties and responsibilities as citizens of this country,” Halifa remarked. He further stated people are arrested and detained over 72 hours, and nobody talks about it. “In a functioning democracy Hon. Speaker, those who execute are weary of their actions because immediately they do something which is wrong, the National Assembly talks about it, the press and everybody speaks out,” Hon. Sallah pointed out that it is important to get our system to function. He said that is how we can earn self-respect, and that it is the duty of the National Assembly to play its role in ensuring that the National self-respect of The Gambia, its integrity, is conserved and defended.

PUBLIC OUTCRY OVER INDISCRIMINATE
DUMPING AT BRIKAMA MARKET
By Lamin Dampha
The lives of Market Vendors, shopkeepers and the general public is put at a major public health risk because of indiscriminate dumping.  Already some vendors have been reported ill after being directly exposed to the bad smell of the rubbish.
Following the relocation of the Brikama Garage, the old garage was turned into stalls used by vendors.  In the centre is a huge dumpsite.  This is where all the rubbish in the market is gathered.  This site is surrounded by stalls where women sell food items for our daily consumption.  These food items are attacked by armies of flies and other insects, putting the lives of consumers at major risk.
“Even if you are 200 metres away from the dump site, you can smell the bad odour” said one vendor.  “We are desperate and helpless.  I have to take medicine everyday when I return home,” said another vendor. The condition has aggravated following the recent down pour currently the vendors have their stalls taken over by rain thereby making the place inaccessible.
Many vendors believe that the situation can continue worsening and might lead to an epidemic.  Some say that it is imperative for people to know the trauma and the sufferings the vendors and shopkeepers are going through in one of the biggest markets in The Gambia.
The shopkeepers and vendors said when they reported the issue to public health workers and the Brikama Area Council, the latter said that they have no other dumpsite but promised to make a daily collection of the rubbish.  However the rubbish remains uncollected for weeks.
It appears that the Operation Clean the Nation initiative is being faulted by this unfortunate indiscriminate disposal of rubbish.  While some in the country are trying up to clean their environment ahead of AU Summit, Brikama Market is being used as a mockery of these efforts.  Meanwhile, the shopkeepers and the vendors of Brikama Market are appealing to Brikama Area Council, National Environment Agency other stakeholders to come to their aid and put a definitive end to this public health crisis.

DARFUR REPORT
(Part 7)
We are publishing the report of the report of the Pan-African Parliament on Darfur in series. The head of the mission was Honourable Abdul Katuntu, from Uganda and the rapporteur
Halifa Sallah the Gambia.
The African Union Monitoring Mission in Sudan (AMIS) is fully established. Its headquarters is in Khartoum and is managed by a senior political officer, Jean Baptiste Matama. He initially assisted Ambassador Ki Doulaye Corentin who served as the head of mission.
At the time of our visit an envoy of the Chairman of the Commission had been appointed to head the mission in Sudan.
We received briefing in Sudan from AMIS that the CFC had established 6 sectors to carry out its mission in Darfur. We visited all the sectors. Sector 1 comprising military Observers and their protectors is based at EI Fashir in Northern Darfur. Sector 2 at Nyalla in Southern Darfur and Sector 3 in Al Junaynah, Western Darfur, Sector 4 at Kabkabiya, Northern Darfur, Sector 5 at Tine, Western Darfur and Sector 6 at Abeshe, Chad.
The military Observers and their protectors live in camps constructed by a US firm. They are temporary dwellings, which may not last for more than 8 months under the rain and sand storms. It was indicated that the provision of 143 vehicles by Britain and other hardware had eased their previous concerns. The sectors have also managed to earn the confidence of the Governors of the three States of Darfur, their Cabinet Members, the Commissioners and the Representatives of the armed opposition, the Refugees and the people in the IDP Camps.
The sectors did mention constraints regarding the appropriateness of the tyres of the vehicles and the absence of equipment to enable vehicles to be pulled out when stuck in mud and sand. We had an experience in Nyala when our vehicle got stuck in a sandy embankment. Local intelligence had to be invited to solve the problem after we exercised all the knowledge in the possession of our team. The goodwill and interest shown by the local people towards the AU Mission was further corroborated by a peaceful march of hundreds, if
not a thousand women, towards the CFC Camp at Kabkabiya to give six sheep, in appreciation of the role of the AU Observers and protectors. Suffice it to say that the military observers and their protectors were elated to mention that Hon. Dye Bah was the first woman to visit all their sectors. This confirms the importance of the institutions of the AU.
7.3 Challenges Of The Mission
The fundamental challenge of the sectors is the violation of the Ceasefire Agreements. Fighting still continued to claim the lives of Combatants and innocent persons. Transport which ply the triangular roads between AI Junaynah, EI Fashir and Nyala were constantly attacked by armed robbers. These roads need to be secured to ensure the free movement of goods and people in order not to strangulate Economic activity in Darfur. The strength of the mission is that, despite its small size, it has been able to make its presence felt. It has built confidence in the population. The structural arrangements of the sectors which provides for AU Military Observers, two representatives of the Sudanese Government, two representatives of each of the armed opposition groups, as well as representatives of the US and their protectors, is an asset, challenge and problem at the same time. It is an asset because it avails opportunity to instil discipline and build trust between armed opposition and representatives of the Government, send signals to the populations that the Ceasefire is holding and make the AU Mission acceptable to the general population. However, when Ceasefire Violation occurs, impartiality by the parties becomes the Casualty. This has led the AU Military Observers and their protectors to question whether the representatives of the Government and the armed opposition should be part of the monitoring team or simply serve as liaison with the Communities to facilitate the free movement of the Observers to conduct their investigations and assessment with impartiality. It is important that convincing arguments are given to effect the necessary structural changes so that they can be taken in good faith. Any new structure should be subjected to a validation exercise by those who will be affected so that it will be seen to be in their interest, to ensure structural reforms. This should be backed by protocols to amend previous agreements.
Another fundamental challenge is the Status of the reports of the violation. The observers lack feedback on reports of violations. Consequently, they are constantly interrogating the relevance of their mission, if nothing is done about the violations. They caution that the confidence of victims may erode if reports of violations are not followed by visible and credible attempt to redress the situation.
There is a debate on how their mandate can be made more robust so that their presence could deter violations of the Ceasefire Agreement and the criminality of armed robbers on the road.
The status of the mission in case of unilateral declaration by one of the parties of withdrawal from the agreement needs consideration. A period for notification before withdrawal should be inbuilt in subsequent agreements. The AU Mission was caught up in the threat to resume hostilities between the Combatants in November while we were in Darfur. An arrangement is urgent to prevent such experiences posing as a threat to the integrity of the mission. In short, a state of emergency was called and notices issued that the Sudanese state could no longer guarantee the security of the representatives of the armed opposition in the CFC sectors.
We have also managed to review the security situation. All sectors indicated that the law enforcement machinery in Darfur has weakened. Even though attempts had been made to deploy Sudanese police forces to protect life and property in Darfur and confront the criminal elements, the force proved ineffective.
The Sudanese government attribute this mainly to attacks on police stations by the armed opposition. It indicated that police stations have been destroyed and police killed. Quizzed on whether the government security apparatus can guarantee them security many people in the camps answered in the negative. When they were asked whether a police force from the African Union could earn their confidence, they all responded with “Allahu Akbarr” “God is Great” to express their approval. We met a delegation of police Commissioners who were on a fact finding mission to assess the security situation. The Sudanese interior minister is of the view that the AU Security forces should not be positioned to be part of the conflict; that if they engage in any activity that harms the member of a tribe the whole tribe will become hostile to the AU. However, it is not clear to us how the deployment of more Sudanese Police in Darfur could improve the security situation if those deployed so far could not make any visible impact. We have tested the ground for the deployment of the AU Law Enforcement Personnel to handle the situation in the key areas where the camps for internally displaced persons are, in collaboration with all sides to the conflict. This can lead to confidence building for the population and capacity Building for the Sudanese police. Our discussion with the representatives of the armed opposition in the sector to understand their command and control structures revealed the need to engage and assist them to build political control over military operations. This will help in ensuring that Agreements are not honoured with total disregard because of the lack of flow of information from top to bottom. They highlighted the need to have more documents regarding the African union, the Geneva Conventions, the Agreements and urged us to meet their political leaders outside.

RICE PROJECT
NO SUITABLE CONTRACTOR FOUND
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The Secretary of State for agriculture, Yankuba Touray has announced that the Kuwaiti funded Irrigated Rice Development Project, had difficulties in attracting a suitable contractor at a reasonable and affordable cost. Mr. Touray made these remarks last Thursday at the National Assembly, while responding to a question raised by the member for Sami, Idirissa S. Sallah, on rice irrigation project which was a delaying the Kuwaiti loan that was ratified in 1999/2000.“
After due tender procedure for the land development works, only one contractor submitted a bid,” SoS Touray said, adding that the bid price of US$8.05 million offered by the contractor was far more than the budgetary allocation of US$1.528 million, for the land development component.
When questioned by the Parliamentarian that rice growers were given hope that this project shall commence soon, Mr. Touray answered thus: “Madam Speaker, yes I am aware.” He continued: “With the benefiaries’ enthusiasm to increase their productivity and subsequently their food security status, my Department of State has submitted a proposal to the Kuwaiti Fund, through the Department of State for Finance, for the reallocation of all uncommitted funds to the institutional support component of the project.” Mr. Touray also said that this will enable them acquire agricultural machinery and equipment in-addition to pumping machines and control gates. He added that his will facilitate the performance of the task in collaboration with development partners operating in the rice production industry.

“THE WOODLOT BELONGS TO DANKUNKU VILLAGE
SAYS SoS EDWARD SINGHATEH,”
In his response to a question raised by the Member for Niamina Dankunku Hon. Kebba Ngett regarding the ownership of the Woodlot in his constituency, Hon. Edward Singhateh indicated that in the history of the Woodlot Establishment Programme under his Department of State, there has never been a constituency Woodlot Programme.  SoS Singhateh indicated that what they had was village woodlot programme, which started in 1980 through USAID funding in 1982 from the then EEC both for the expansion of the Village Woodlot Programme.  It could be recalled that these village Woodlot Programmes SoS Singhateh said, were designed to respond to the numerous recommendations from studies carried out in the Sahel member countries concerning the predicted fuel wood shortages, which the Sahelian countries will be faced with in future.  SoS Singhateh pointed out that between 1980 and 1986, the Department of Forestry under his Department of State established 40(forty) village woodlots in various parts of the country, including the Dankunku Village Woodlot.
SoS Singhateh pointed out that in 1982, a letter from the Forestry Department to the Divisional Commissioners and the District Chiefs made it very clear to the stakeholders that the Village Woodlots Programme was village based and was for villages and no other party.  He said that all rights and privileges are vested on the participating 40 villages with no external influence.  Therefore, he said, the issue of 26 village Alkalos (village heads) appending their signatures to a letter/document to indicate that the Dankunku village Woodlot belongs to the entire District of Dankunku is a matter between the late Alhagi Saja Mboge and the 26 Alkalos (village heads) and not his Department of State.  Besides, he said, this is not consistent with the thinking behind the programme at the time.
In addition SoS Singhateh said all records at the Department of Forestry stated that this particular woodlot belongs to the village of Dankunku.  In a bid to ease the tension, SoS Singhateh indicated that his Department of State would put a Woodlot in the area for the 26 villages excluding Dankunku village.

MARITIME LAWS AMENDEDTO EASE ADMINISTRATION
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The National Assembly Members on Tuesday unanimously amended the Registration of the Shipping (Amendment) Act 2006 and the Carriage of Deck Passengers (Amendment) Act 2006.
Moving the motion on the Carriage of the Deck Passengers Bill, the Secretary of State for Justice, Sheikh Tijan Hydara, said the establishment of The Gambia Maritime Administration cannot be complete without giving it the responsibility for regulating and co-ordinating activities in the Maritime Industry.
“Such responsibility is necessarily in the form of amendments to legislation governing the carriage of passengers on the decks of ships which do not have dormitory facilities. These amendments reflect truly the harmony between the various legislations to be administered and enforced by this entity,” said SoS Hydara.
Mr. Hydara added that the main objective of the Bill is therefore to amend the provisions relating to persons or offices required to carry out certain tasks and to provide for an increase in the fine to be paid for any infringement of the law.
On the Registration of Shipping (Amendment) Act, SoS Hydara said the absence of a Cohesive Merchant Shipping Act in The Gambia is indeed not conducive to the establishment of a Maritime Administration.
He said: “This is because the existing legislations neither provide for, nor envisaged the setting up of such an entity. The need, therefore, for a consolidated Merchant Shipping Act that will provide for the establishment of a Maritime Administration with full powers to regulate shipping, control pollution from the operation of ships, and provide protection of the marine environment as well as ensure the safety of human life and property can not be overemphasized.”
Both Bills were passed quickly without controversy.

DAY OF THE AFRICAN CHILD
By Amie Sanneh
Tomorrow 16th June, will be observed as the Day of the African Child (DAC). This day was set aside by the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) now African Union, (AU) to remember the innocent children of South Africa who were brutally massacred by racist security forces during the Soweto uprising of 1976. The day is set aside also to draw attention to the many issues blurring the lives and well being of children in Africa. In South Africa, the day is called Youth Day while the African Union (AU) calls it “The Day of The African Child.” The Day of the African Child Commemoration was triggered by a student protest march in Soweto, which led to the mowing down of innocent children by the Apartheid Police. The enthusiastic school children were shouting slogan against Bantu Education, which aimed to keep them in as drawers of water and hewers of wood. To their dismay the world’s greatest perpetrators of racial discrimination began murdering them in cold blood, when they (the police) realised that they (the children) would not give in to any form of threat.
Though South Africa is now liberated, the day is still being observed annually. This offers the world the opportunity to reflect on the plight of children in Africa, those who are not protected, those who are caught in armed conflict, those who are abused and exploited, those who have been robbed of their childhood and so on.
The Gambia, since 1990, has joined the rest of its African counterparts to commemorate this significant day.
For this year’s commemoration, the theme will be centred on “Protecting Children Against Violence.” Child Protection Alliance, National Youth Council and UNICEF will commemorate the event at the Kairaba beach Hotel. The commemoration will include media programmes, march pass and launching of a survey report on corporal punishment, which was conducted at school, and community levels.

REPORTER GRANTED BAIL
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Lamin Fatty, a reporter with the biweekly paper, Independent, was on Monday granted bail by Magistrate Sanyang of the Kanifing Magistrate Court, after spending two months in detention.
Fatty who is charged with false publication, told the Court that he did not have access to his defence counsel. He also told the Court that he has been in detention for two months without seeing his family or a lawyer. The Prosecutor, Sergeant 453 Touray did not object to Fatty’s application for bail and the Presiding Magistrate in turn granted him bail in the sun of 50, 000 dalasis with a Gambian Surety.
Fatty was arrested on the 10th of April 2006 and has since then remained in detention at the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) till Monday (12th June) when he appeared in Court. Prior to his arrest, his paper, Independent, was closed down and its Editor-in-Chief and Managing Director were detained for weeks.

NAMs SACRIFICE THEIR POWERS
By Abdoulie G. Dibba
Halifa Sallah, the Minority Leader at the National Assembly, has told his colleagues that they did sacrifice the Security of the National Assembly by passing a bill into law that allows the Executive to dissolve the National Assembly contrary to what is stipulated in the constitution.
“That is why, Hon. Speakers, contrary to what is common in the world, National Assembly Members can be arrested and detained anytime without seeking the authority of this august body. In many parts of the world, Hon. Speaker, no National Assembly Member can be arrested without the immunity being waved by the body.” Hon. Sallah remarked.
Hon. Sallah said the National Assembly Members have powers to make laws, but they have sacrificed their powers, yet they complained that they are not respected.

GOVT URGED TO RESPECT THE CONSTITUTION
A report delivered on behalf of participants to the Forum of NGOs at the 39th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights, has urged the governments of The Gambia, Djibouti and Cameroon to respect their constitutional provisions and international obligations.
Also reports have it that the forum had received reports of arbitrary arrests and illegal detentions in The Gambia, Djibouti and Cameroon.
The report went on to say that instances of serious human rights violations and international humanitarian law in varying degrees were cited in The Gambia, Cote D’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Cameroon, Central African Republic and Chad.
According to the report, in the Central African Republic, the resurgence of rebel movements and attacks in the vicinities of Kabo and Markounda in December 2005 and Paura in January 2006 have resulted in the death of many civilians. The Forum urged the aforesaid States to ensure that perpetrators do not go unpunished.
Participants at the Forum of NGOs noted with satisfaction the entering into force of the African Court on Human and People’s Rights which provided the first step towards the tackling of impunity on the continent and the consolidation of the commission’s decisions. The forum of NGOs did appeal to states, which have not ratified the protocol that paved the way for the coming into force of the aforesaid court, to speedily ratify and enable the inevitable implementation of the protocol to the court. The participants also condemned the wave of impunity that remains poignant in the continent.
While congratulating the international community on the arrest and extradition of Charles Taylor to face the Special Court of Sierra Leone for the alleged crimes he committed, the forum urged the Republic of Senegal to respond to the extradition request of Belgium regarding Hussein Habre. In the same vein, the forum called on the government of Kenya to extradite Mr. Felices Kabuga to the Rwanda Tribunal for the alleged crimes he committed.

TREASON SUSPECTS HAVE NOT TAKEN PLEA
The fifteen suspects who have been charged with various treason related offences are yet to take their plea contrary to what was reported in Issue No. 45/2006. We regret the error.The proceedings are to resume tomorrow.