GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:19:44 +0000
Yero Mama,

It is very unfortunate that there are some seemingly intelligent people who
doggedly want us to believe that they and they alone have opinions of what
right and wrong are; and with that mindset they will resort to all sorts of
abuse and vulgarity in an attempt to impose those opinions on all others
with differing views. While some of us will not deny that Jammeh, like all
humans, is not infallible and has faults, they hold on to the view that
Jammeh is the "devil reincarnate". To them, the 53% of mature Gambians who
live in this hell of a place that they want the whole world to believe, just
don't know what the hell they want. Are these people for real? I simply
cannot understand why a minority of  shysters on this forum seem to want
everyone to believe that they and they alone know what is best for the
country. He may represent some people's worst nightmares but not mine.

When you suggest that we look into things with an open mind and see how best
to bridge the gap between us through a better understanding of each other's
points of view, they dogged refuse and writing you off as some sycophant who
has no human genes or sense in him. Some are only interested in wallowing in
Jammeh's shortcomings refuse to allow any objective discourse of any othe
aspect of him knowing full well that jammeh's balance score card is not that
difficult to rationalise or defend. When you suggest referring our recent
past in order to better understand certain issues they will have none of it.
When you cannot make any reference to the Jawara days unless the issue is
how The Gambia was "recognised" the world over for being a bastion of
"peace, tranquility and human rights" (whatever that means). What human
rights are they talking about when we were denied any significant form of
development? What human rights is there when you subjugate a whole nation
through a deliberate policy of keeping them aboslutely ignorant? Even the
national radio to inform us of government policies they will not maintain
it. We all remember the days when radio Gambia will be off the air for hours
simply because a few five Dalasi fuses were not available. But no; we cannot
talk about the past. If they don't want to discuss the PPP record honestly
and compare it with what prevails now in its entirity, how on earth can
anyone come an informed conclusion about Jammeh or his government? Fact of
the matter is that some just hate the guy and no matter what, they will
never see anything good in whatever he does. No wonder with that mindset
some cannot still come to terms with the fact that the first republic is
truely dead. Wistfully looking back to those days when nobody was
accountable for anything done in the name of the people will all be in vain.
But try to point that out and you are a sycophant praise singing to keep a
job. How ridiculous can one be to come such a simple conclusion is beyond
me.

I had very high hopes for the country when Jammeh was declared the winner of
the recently concluded elections and the leader of main opposition party,
Ousainou Darbo called him to concede. Then, I had thought that the
relationship between the ruling party and the UDP will, from then on, be
based on mutual respect and fruitful engagement. How quickly those hopes
evaporated is mind boggling. Because the legitimacy of Jammeh's first
government was not fully accepted by some in the opposition and that did not
go down well with the APRC, I had assumed that this time round a new era had
dawned. I had assumed that the constant bickering and clashes between the
two parties would soon come to an end and some degree of sanity restored.
But no. No sooner did we heave a sigh of relieve that the tension in our
country would soon be replaced by a unity of purpose to create a better
Gambia, the leadership of the main opposition UDP reneged on their earlier
reconciliatory message of respecting the views of the electorate. It is very
sad when you consider the implication this has for peace and peaceful
co-existence especially between the militant supporters of the two parties.
As far as I am concerned everything seems to be back to square one. The
scene now seems to be set for more clashes betwen supporters of the two
parties, more arrests and detensions and more misery for all. And all these
because some people cannot and will not accept the fact that, for now, God
has destined Yahya to lead us. But as they say, an obstinate man does not
hold opinions, but opinions hold him! Very unfortunate if you ask me.

Have a good day, Gassa.