GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:54:17 +0100
Mugabe is right that we don't send election observers to Europe. And African
leaders in the commonwealth are right that one should wait until after the
elections to judge the out come. It is no hidden fact that the British came to
the commonwealth meeting with an EU aganda. The hypocrisy of British foreign
policy in this country will never be helping us in understanding the nature of
the political crisis in that country. Western imperialist interest in the
continent is always accompanied by so much arrogance and ignorancy. Britian is
dealing with China and Saudi Arabia there has never been any elections in
these countries, in Saudi women don't even have a right to vote. It is a lie
if the British should tell us that they are more concern with Democracy in
this country. They were at a much more better relationship with Mugabe at the
time when no one talk of elections in the country. The interest of the British
upper class in that country was the motivating factor that got the British on
the opposite side of those who were yearning for freedom. It was enough to
cost them everything, even to the extend of using British taxpayers money in a
war they have no moral mandate to fight. This bitterness and interest is the
motivating factor behind Western Action against Zimbabwe today also.
During the struggle for independence, the land question was a vital mobilising
factor. That the majority of the people, who are the legal owner of the land,
have to be labourers to a very few white peasant bureaucrats could never be
justified
Mugabe, who emerged victorious in that war, was long since been seen as a
hero, not only of his own people but a symbol of African leadership in the
struggle against colonialism and imperialist interest. Zimbabwean never let
him down; they proved to the whole world that he was their leader.
At independent the Land question was never solved. Mugabe is today telling us
that there are two reason for it, one of them is constitutional and the other
is finacial. Since Britain that promised financial assistance to solve this
problem never did so the process of solving it became difficult. Now the
people cannot wait anymore thus the action. He claimed that the opposition is
working in the interest of foreign powers and interest.
Well ,whatever the case, we have witness that oppositions that came to power
through the ballot box with promises of addressing the need of the people
never did better than the dictator they deposed. We have seen it in Zambia, in
Poland etc. What will become of Zimbabwe after Mugabe might either be better
or worst. But if the latter should be the case, we will be given dictators a
firm ground to stand.
Mugabe is a dictator; he is among the African leaders who have betrayed the
aspiration of the African people. The Zimbabweans did not go to war with the
colonialist to be merginalised. They when to war for full freedom. If Mugabe
is charging his opposition for planning to kill him at a time when the country
is in a serious constitutional and political crisis he must be enjoying his
dance to the tune of the Imperialist. We have seen in the past weeks and
months resolutions that have been passed and all with the intention of
silencing the opposition. If he can corner us on the fact that we don't send
election observers to Europe, we will be able to corner him to explained what
is responsible for this condition, that demands that election observers should
be send to the country
Mugabe is in deep crisis with his people. We know opposition elements have
been seriously torured, arrested and detained illegally, this is not in the
spirit of democracy. He is in much crisis with his own people than he is with
the British. He must not fool us to believe that he is waging a war against
hvite arrocancy. Wherther it is true or only British propaganda against
Mugabe, that he is busy transferring money to Malaysia, planning his run in
case of election defeat, the crisis in that country could only be solved by
the people of that country. And if Mugabe decides to rig the election he will,
without doubt emerged as the biggest fool of all dictators.

For Freedom

Saiks