GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:52:03 EST
The Coalition wrote:

> Having consulted the Coalition membership at the grassroots and following
> advice received from the bulk of our members, it has been concluded by them
> that they cannot compete with non-Gambians for the election of
> representatives to the National Assembly. The UDP will not participate in
> the forthcoming National Assembly elections and subsequent elections be it
> local government, presidential or otherwise until such a time that the
> register of voters is revamped and the number of aliens expunged there
> from.  The UDP led Coalition hopes that a new code of conduct for elections
> based on the performance of a truly Independent Electoral Commission would
> be worked out jointly by all stakeholders, and when real Gambians and not
> aliens will be able to select leaders of their choice.

Bravo!

It is about time that people, especially the opposition parties in The Gambia
stopped giving legitimacy to the facade of a "normal electoral process" when
what is unfolding in our country is far from it.
 I also hope that the other opposition parties will stop doing what the
wollof call

"metel buki jamay jakkah neh eliman ba ngi"

and boycott this charade of an electoral process that has been an ongoing
clown act by the APRC and Gabriel Roberts.

This phony act is also the reason I have decided that engaging Gassa and the
rest of the Jammeh aplogists is an exercise in futility, simply because these
guys know the truth and are just " mouth pieces" for this regime. Histoy will
place them where they belong.