GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 00:21:15 -0700
Folks,

I have to say this:  did President Jammeh *really, really* deliver the speech below?
If this was a speech he gave, then God help us; we're in BIG trouble.  Furthermore,
I'd like to point out a few issues.  First, the claim that about 300 doctors for
roughly 1.3 million people in The Gambia translates to "the highest doctor-patient
ratio in the whole world" is totally false.  According to my calculator, the above
numbers translates to a doctor-patient ratio of 3 doctors for every 13,000 (thirteen
thousand) people.  This ratio, expressed in the standard number of doctors per 1,000
(one thousand) people translates to 0.23 doctors per thousand, or about 23 per
100,000 (one hundred thousand).  Is this ratio the highest in the world?

Well, according to the WHO (http://www-nt.who.int/whosis/statistics/menu.cfm), the
number of physicians per 100,000 for The Gambia was 3.5 per 100,000, well lower than
the figure above.  Even if we accept the figure of 23 doctors per 100,000 of the
population, that is by no means the highest in the world given that Cuba has 530
doctors/100,000.  All this talk is, of course, just that, talk, when you are sick and
can't find or afford the drugs prescribed for you, or you can't communicate with best
team of doctors surrounding you because they all speak Spanish, and you speak Jola.
In short, we should take these numbers in perspective.

Second, I found what is either a typographical error, an outright lack of arithmetic
skills, or wishful thinking.  To quote from the speech: "From 1994 up to date the
government has spent more than 100 million Dollars in socio-economic and
infrastructural development. 100 million Dollars will be more than 15 billion
Dalasis."  The above numbers just don't jive with reality.  The only way 100 million
Dollars will convert to 15 billion Dalasis if there's an exchange rate of 150 (one
hundred and fifty) Dalasis to the Dollar.  Given that current exchange rates are
about 15 Dalasis, I propose that President Jammeh should have said 1.5 billion
Dalasis.  Clearly, this is an order of magnitude less than what the speech claims,
and I suppose warrants that his rhetoric be discounted by as much.

I guess that's about all for now.  Have a great week(end), and best wishes.

Katim