GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:27:58 -0800
Masoud wrote:

"You probably missed what I was saying in my pioneer commentary. I present  it"

Au contraire, I have read it and suprise, suprise agreed with some parts of your argument. I responded to your subsequent post to challenge your meme that Obama and his supporters are trying to change the rules regarding the role of superdelegates. Nothing could be further from the truth. Moreover you are comparing apples to oranges when you compare the rule that bar the michigan and florida delegates from been seated to the rule that super delegates can vote for any candidate.

DNC rules do not obligate super delegates to thwart the popular will of Democratic primary voters and caucus goers. Just as DNC rules allow for super delegates to thwart the popular will of Democratic primary voters and caucus goers, those same rules allow for super delegates to ratify the popular will of Democratic primary voters and caucus goers. Both are well within the rules. The decision is up to the super delegates. Whilst in the case of Michigan and Florida, the rule specifically said they won't be counted.

The difference is that if super delegates decide to ratify the popular will of Democratic primary voters and caucus goers, then super delegates are upholding both the rules of the DNC and the principle of democracy. In other words, voting to thwart the popular will upholds DNC rules, but not their values, while voting to ratify the popular will upholds both DNC rules and values.

I have a feeling that at the end of the most superdelegates will vote to uphold both the rules and values.

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Mori,

You probably missed what I was saying in my pioneer commentary. I present  it
here again:

Haruna Darbo   wrote: It is agreed that the agreement adopted  by  the
democratic party to  discount
Michigan and Florida  delegates  because their respective state parties
veered from the  primary and  caucus schedules is UNDEMOCRATIC and it should not
have  been  considered in the first place. However, it was considered and
adopted prior to campaigning and the decision should stand. Whatever affect  it has

on Democratic party fortunes for this year's presidential  elections  must be
absorbed and the party can reconsider the  arrangement for  the next
elections.

It is also agreed that the  idea of super delegates determining the nominee
in the event of a tie  or when  neither candidate achieves the requisite number
of  primary  and  caucus delegates, is UNDEMOCRATIC. And it should not have
been adopted by the democratic party in the first place. However, it  was
adopted
and all competitors for nomination knew and  implicitly  accepted that
arrangement  prior to campaigning for the  nomination,  and the arrangement should
stand. Whatever affect it has on  Democratic  party fortunes for this year's
presidential  elections  must be  absorbed and the party can reconsider the
arrangement for  the  next elections.

Fair is fair, and quit whining yourselves  to defeat Democrats. If the
Michigan and Florida delegates are to be  counted, then the superdelegate structure
must be squashed.  Alternatively, if  the superdelegate structure is to  be
squashed,  then the Florida and  Michigan delegates must be counted. That is
what  I see to be the  essence of Hillary Clinton's argument. It makes sense,  it
 is honourable, and it is fair.

Now then my friend Ousman, and I see you're still here with us.

Haruna wrote: "I understand how you or another can read greed into  it. Trust
me when I first heard Hillary wishes to have Florida and Michigan  delegates
be seated and counted, I looked at the rationale behind it. I came to  find
out the Obama-heads wished to disenfranchise her delegates from those  states
and whip up a groundswell of chatter about the undemocratic nature of
superdelegates. The two are astute lawyers and they have lawyers managing their
campaigns. There is a  subtle trick in lawyering and I will explain  later."

Mori wrote: [Not so fast my friend. How did you arrive at the  conclusion
that Obama heads are trying to disenfranchise delegates from the two  states?]

See the maiden note above.

"The Democratic National Committee with the approval of both campaigns  laid
down their rules." Mori.

Exactly. The rules for both Michigan and Florida delegates and the
superdelegates. I agree with you Ousman.

"Michigan and Florida broke the rules." Mori.

Exactly. Not the voters, but the party apparatchik.

[Your solution? Rules don't matter as long as your candidate benefits  from
breaking those rules.] Mori.

NO. My solution is: Michigan and Florida delegates don't count and the
superdelegate structure stays. The two can be revisited after the elections and
when they are, the superdelegate structure will be ammended for more democracy
and the DNC would leave scheduling of primaries and caucuses to the state
parties as long as no two primaries or caucuses conflict in date only. There is
another drawback to that but that is comparatively insignificant. I said that
if  the Obama folk insist on revamping the superdelegate structure prior to
the  convention, then Florida and Michigan delegates must be seated and counted.
I  think we are on the same plane now Ousman.

"Granted, Michigan and Florida are particularly important states in the
general election," Mori.

For me, Florida and Michigan are not any more important than Maine and
Hawaii.

"but their party leadership screwed the states by breaking DNC rules. So  the
states -- who could've been influential in the regular calendar -- held
potemkin contests and are now nothing more than pawns in the Clintontonista's
efforts to gain an unfair advantage." Mori.

NO Mori. They are not pawns. The voters voted their wishes. The Party
Apparatchik screwed up, not the voters. Hillary Clinton did not force  anyone to
vote for her. Neither did Obama force anyone to vote for him. I know  the blacks
and Arab-Americans did not vote in the numbers they would have if  their votes
were to count, and that is precisely why I say Michigan and Florida
delegates ought not be counted or seated in this nomination race. I think you  agree
with that don't you?

"So what to do?" Mori.

See immediately above.

"Well it is not easy, but for the sake of the party, I think they should
split the delegates from Michigan and Florida 50/50. Give Clinton half the
delegates, Obama the other half." Mori.

No Mori. I know you like votes but if you were to split the votes  (doesn't
matter however you would split it) you will have counted and honoured  the
delegates somehow, correct? You would therefore renege on the prior  arrangement
between the candidates and of the DNC not to honour the delegates.  An
arrangement, signed, sealed, and delivered prior to commencement of the  campaigns. I
understand that you want this cockamayme and seemingly  "compromising
arrangement" because you have your eyes set on Hillary's  superdelegates. New
Gambians!!! I think PDOIS should make you their campaign  strategist. Call uncle
Suntou. He knows people in PDOIS. Maybe you can help them  wake up from their
sleepless slumber. No not you Mr. Jobarteh.

"The states get representation at the convention, but we don't have to
change the rules of the game mid-contest in a way that impacts the race  unfairly."
Mori.

Mori, if we do what you suggest 50/50 split, we WILL HAVE CHANGED  THE RULES
OF THE GAME MID-CONTEST. Forget the impact.

"Sure, the Clinton partisans wouldn't like it, but if the issue is
enfranchising those state's Democrats, this is the fair way to do it."  Mori.

No. Hillary and Obama will be more than happy to yield to my solution.  There
is no other solution worth considering and they know it as astute lawyers.
Your solution is partisan, biased, and disingenuous. Run it by Obama along side
 my solution and see what he says.

"Remember, those states didn't have real contests. Many Democrats stayed
home because their vote wasn't supposed to count. Seating the delegations based
on the delegates Clinton won isn't representative of the state's will."  Mori.

I agree with you Mori. Believe it or not.

"If we can't have a new contest to determine the real apportionment of  the
delegates, then let's simply seat them, but in a way that they don't impact
the race." Mori.

NO. We are not having a new contest and we are not seating the delegates.  We
are also not revamping the superdelegate structure now or at anytime prior to
 the nomination. If we do it, I will personally file a lawsuit againt the DNC
in  district court.

OK. Bye! Masoud. MQJGDT. Darbo. Al Khairawan.

Haruna Darbo  wrote: Mo,

How are you  again? Good to see you.

I understand how you or another can read greed  into it. Trust me when I
first heard Hillary wishes to have Florida  and Michigan delegates be seated
and
counted, I looked at the  rationale behind it. I came to find out the
Obama-heads  wished to  disenfranchise her delegates from those states and
whip up a
groundswell of chatter about the undemocratic nature of superdelegates. The
two
are astute lawyers and they have lawyers managing their campaigns.  There is
subtle trick in lawyering and I will explain  later.

Now the Obama-heads like Ousman had counted on momentum from  Obama's series
of potomac wins and serial-endorsers to maintain a lead  over Hillary and dam
pen  any hopes of Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc.  yielding the comeback kid.
Like  Husband, like wife. And if that held  true, then they wish to attack
the
conscience of superdelegates. They  are not really worried about the
undemocratic
nature of the superdelegates  so much as affecting the latter's conscience in
their favour. The  superdelegate structure has been there for decades without
challenge as my  friend Erskine Bowles would testify. To hedge against this
bet,   Hillary argues that she wishes the Florida and Michigan delegates be
included.  Publicly, Hillary's camp had been silent on the  superdelegates
matter
but they  have been campaigning as if the  structure is immune to revamp at
this
late hour.  That is where I  derived the implicit argument of Hillary that
she
wishes the   superdelegate structure remain intact. I have sent my own
comments to  the  DNC.

Now the two candidates are playing the trick of ask for a  pound and should
you receive an ounce, you will remain victorious.  Neither of the candidates
are
terribly interested in the fortunes of the  Democratic party at large at this
point. They are both understandably  selfish for now. The matter will come to
haunt them when either faces John  McCain. All of a sudden, John McCain
appears  pleasing. Unless of  course the matter of Clinton V Obama is settled
prior
to the   convention which is what I think will happen so they can go into the

convention  unified and stronger against the Republicans.

Modou,  I like you a lot that is why I shared some proprietary information
here au gratis.

Masoud. MQJGDT. Darbo. AL Mu'Umin.

In a  message dated 2/15/2008 10:54:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
I think Hillary Clinton's  argument is that superdelegates  should remain AND
that Florida and  Michigan delegates should be seated. Please  review her
statements on  both issues...

Full Disclosure: I am also a  hopemonger  :-)

best,
Modou

[...]

Masoud.  MQJGDT. Darbo. Al  Mutawakkil.

**************The year's  hottest artists on the red  carpet at the Grammy
Awards. Go to AOL  Music.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
To   unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L
Web  interface
at:  http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html

To  Search in the  Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l
To contact  the  List Management, please send an e-mail   to:
[...]

http://gambian.blogspot.com

Web  interface