GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Solomon Njai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:34:12 EDT
I can't believe the double standards being practiced by some of us on this
forum i.e. attacking ebou colley and kebba dampha for expressing their point
of views, as ex-military personnel's. As I reiterated on a different posting,
sympathetic Gambian's back home tends to understand the political quagmire,
we [especially those of us residing abroad] are faced with. We can advocate
DEMON/DIRIMOcracy, whatever Yahya would like to call it, but as long as
Gambia's best brains resides abroad and those at home leaving in droves,
Yahya will never ever leave office with the kind of electioneering
campaign/tactics we are advocating from this end. Perhaps, the recent
massacre of school children changes the equation slightly to our advantage
but, effective and maximum pressure must be applied from within and without,
including military,economic,political and dis/misinformation campaigns must
be utilized as a last resort. We cannot fool ourselves or others with some of
the confusing commentaries regarding the 1994 coup, since a whole lot of us
supported Yahya Jammeh when the military took over from Jawara....HELLO!!!
How many of us demonstrated or wrote anything critical about the military at
the onset? very few. Our way out of this is dilemma, is to identify our power
base/voting strength [$#DM, etc.]; identify our interest; compromise with our
support-base in Gambia; or else, engage in conflict. As disenfranchised
Gambians on the periphery, looking from outside-in, most of us tend to take
the simplification method of proving each theorem; GAMBIA HAS A PROBLEM,
PROBLEM IS YAHYA JAMMEH, HE MUST GO; theorem proven QED. Overnight  or flight
by-night organizing/organizations impregnated by self-interest, ego-trips and
title/leadership sickness is, and will, never be our way out. Since the
adults would not lead the revolution/revelation, whatever you want to call
it, our children saved us from grace, therefore, we cannot let them down the
second time around. Many of us have forgotten where we came from, we don't
know where we are, and we fear where we may be going. Afraid, we turn from
glorious adventure of the pursuit of freedom and happiness to a pursuit of an
illusionary security in an ordered, stratified and confused society of
Gambians. May our common senses save our souls...AMEEN?