GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:40:34 PST
Sillah,

You write: "My problem with Ebou Jallow's story, as always is that, one
would have lent/attached more credence/weight to his story if he came
forward days after he left The Gambia to shed light on Koro's case..." Well,
to set the record straight, Ebou Jallow did divulge information about Koro's
death, in the same vein he recently did. Fact is in his resignation letter
to Jammeh, which was copied to Gambian newspapers, the US Embassy and the
British High Commission, Jallow, he accosted the then Head Of State Jammeh
for knowing the facts surrounding Koro's mysterious death, and failing to
act on them. Jallow narrated in a chronological order, events surrounding
the former finance minister's death.

Upon receipt of Jallow's letter, Daily Observer's editorial board sat down
to determine the publishability of Jallow's contents on KOro's death. We
agreed that they were serious allegations concerning senior members of the
Ruling Council. And since there was no way to validate Jallow's allegations,
we decided not to publish them, but only to put out an 'overview' story on
Jallow's resignation letter. Ebrima Cessay can attest to this fact. He and I
and other editors rummaged through Jallow's contentions carefully and
tactfully.

Equally, Jallow also divulged the same information on the BBC, but Ebrima
Cessay(then BBC's Gambia correspondent)later told me, BBC editors had to
edit Jallow's allegations, and simply let a rendition of his remarks on the
"missing million", filter through the air.

So Ebou Jallow did reveal information about Koro's death as soon as he left
The Gambia. But it was his press release, choke-full of allegations, that
prevented the Gambian press from letting Gambians know Jallow's contentions
earlier.

Ebou Jallow may not have been part and parcel of those he alleges to have
"murdered" Koro, but he is guilty by association. So tact and care must be
taken not to make windfall of his allegations. But again, his allegations
cannot be dismissed entirely. For when Jammeh is refusing to hold an inquiry
into Koro's death, we should willingly or unwillingly listen to Jallow and
decipher sense or tangibility out of his statements. The fact is, he was
part of them. And his statements may be a chink of light at the end of the
tunnel. Or may be not at all.

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI