GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:36:01 -0700
OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT JOHNSON SIRLEAF OF LIBERIA-
LAWYER MARIAM DENTON-Editors want Baba Jobe handed
over!!!

From:-The Editorial Board
          Freedomnewspaper
          Raleigh North Carolina-USA

 Attention:-HE Johnson Sirleaf,
               President Of The Republic of Liberia
               Office of The President-Monrovia.
               West Africa.

Your Excellency,
Subject:-The Unlawful detention of Lawyer Mariam
Denton,a woman,a mother and an Icon in The Gambia,by
President Jammeh of The Republic of The Gambia.

Your Excellency,
It is with deep regret and bitterness that we are
sending you this message with reference to the above
mentioned caption. The theme of this very message is
centered around inviting fighters like you help us as
Gambians fight against injustice and impunity in our
country. You as a person is  so qualified to step into
this arena. You are a woman by nature and the
political prisoner being referred to herein is also a
woman. You are a loving and caring mother,she is also
one. You did taste the otherside of hard hearted
dictators like Samuel Doe and Charles Taylor during
your days as freedom fighter. Mrs Mariam Denton is
today going through those trying times under a hard
hearted and ruthless dictator in the person of
President Yahya Abdul Aziz Junkung Jammeh of The
Republic of The Gambia.

Madam Sirleaf asked to step in Gambia's
political crisis...

You did taste the harsh cells and harsh mental or
physical tortures under the hands of Samuel Doe,a
ruthless dictator who never hesitated to kill. Today
Mrs Denton is also facing the same callous and
dictatorial tendencies from another despot who prefers
killing over negotiations. Therefore the reason why we
as African sons and daughters chose to send this
message to a lioness like you. You are not a lioness
that fights to dominate,you are a lioness that defends
it cubs from hungry wolves. Mrs Johnson Sirleaf we are
sobbing because of fear,we are crying because of
sorrow,we are running away because of whips and
bullets,this means we are calling for your motherly
love to help save our community from the horrors of
any future civil war. We do not want to wait any
longer,it is our duty to inform you about a fuming
volcanoe thats about to erupt in your backyard.

 Your Excellency,
You are well respected,you have been received by the
world's strongest congress ie the US congress. You are
loved and held at high esteem by many. You have done
it under two dictators,we have one dictator within our
midst therefore you are our inspiration. Right at this
moment your fellow woman,sister and an educated mother
is languishing in jail. She is being tortured,degraded
and demoralised by never-do-wells,who can only use
guns and knives to achieve something but not brains
and minds. President Sirleaf please remember the old
adage..."Force breeds force". In The Gambia today we
have force breeding force. The seeds of discord have
already been buried in the ground,we can see the
sibblings every where,we as a nation are about to reap
what has been sown by an evil regime. Do we deserve
reaping what we did not sow? Doesn't the evil regime
and the evil leader who sowed the seed deserve reaping
them like Charles Taylor or Samuel Doe did in the
past? Why would The Gambia be left sobbing all by
itself when we have leaders like you within the AU?

Your Excellency,
Mrs Mariam Denton was accused and jailed after The
Gambia's dictator foiled his 18th coup d'etat? In
legal terms Your Excellency 18 means maturity. It also
means the same in biological and spiritual terms.
Maturity indeed is an outcome of long days of
experience. The experience we have been going through
under President Jammeh has reached its 'age of
puberty'. This means The Gambia and its people is so
sad and ready to explode. When dictators feel paranoid
they end up victimising brains like Lawyer Denton. You
have first hand experience on that Your Excellency.
You have been victimised both by Doe and Taylor. You
are an icon who was recognised and loved even whereas
those dictators wanted to sell you as damaged goods.
They never succeeded because anyone who saw you,saw
value and goodness. This is indeed why we recognise
the same values in Lawyer Mariam Denton even whereas
President Jammeh wants to sell her as damaged goods.
Lawyer Denton is our Johnson Sirleaf in The Gambia. We
do not want to read her epitaph on a grave,we want to
salute her on a dias when The Gambia is freed from the
claws of a ruthless dictator. We want to salute
exactly as you were saluted by Mrs Laura Bush during
your inauguration ceremony as the continent's first
elected Female President.

Your Excellency, The Gambia is today undergoing
political and economic crisis. This is attributable to
the growing corruption and rule of law crisis in the
country. The government under the leadership of
President Jammeh violates the constitution with
impunity. Our men and women had been exposed to all
kinds of atrocities under Jammeh's "repressive and
dictatorial rule." We implore on you to use your high
office once again to bring sanity in this one time
peaceful West African country.

Your Excellency, as Charles Taylor is awaiting his
fate at the Hague for crime against humanity, we hope
and pray that you will use the Banjul AU Summit to
prevail on your colleagues to cooperate with the UN
Security Council  Resolution,  and hand over people
accused of   worsening the Sierra leonean and Liberian
decade long civil war. Such a move will help a great
deal in ending impunity on the continent. Our own
former National Assembly Member Majority leader Baba
Kajali Jobe and President Yahya Jammeh's personal jet,
the new Millennium were among those indicted by the UN
for gun running and the trade of "blood diamond."

Your Excellency, the Banjul Summit is an opportune
moment for Africa to facilitate the handing over of
these enemies of freedom, who caused mayhem and untold
suffering to the people of Liberia and Sierra Leone.
It is our contention that all those linked to the
chopping and the killing of our Mano River Union
brothers and sisters should face justice without
delay. The horific atrocities that took place in these
two countries are still fresh in our minds. Justice
delayed is justice denied. We prevail on you to
champion for this noble call, so that the likes of
Baba K Jobe can be extradited to the Hague to face
trial. Trying Charles Taylor, alone is not enough as
far as public interest is concerned. All accomplices
should be brought to book in the interest of justice.

Your Excellency, we  would also want to draw your
attention to the recent hacking of the Freedom
Newspaper by agents of The Gambian government. This
unfortunate incident led to the mass arrest of our
esteem subscribers, who the Gambian government branded
as "informants" to the Editor and publisher Pa Nderry
M'Bai. As we piece this open letter together, dozens
of Freedom Newspaper subscribers are languishing in
jail without right to bail or speedy trial. The
government also used the Daily Observer Newspaper, a
paper sympathetic to the Jammeh administration to
publish names and addresses of  our subscribers
without the expressed permission  of this leading and
authoritative US based Gambian online Newspaper. The
office of the Inspector General of police also issued
a statement saying "all those whose names appeared on
the Daily Observer, should report to the nearest
police station or risked being arrested and
prosecuted. " Despite our repeated statements
indicating that the said people were not our
informants, the government went ahead to crack down on
these "innocent freedom loving people". A 14 year old
boy was among those held by the police. Some of the
detainees complained about being harassed and tortured
while in custody.

In view of the above,we invite you to step in and help
save your fellow Gambian sisters and brothers from
mayhem.

Please accept the assurances of our highest esteem.

You are our hero!
Down with dictators and despots!
Welcome Freedom!

The Editorial Board
Freedomnewspaper.

CC President Johnson Sirleaf,
President Abdoulie Wade of Senegal,
President Neno Veira of Guinea Bissau,
African Union Chairman,
President Obsanjo of Nigeria,
President John Koffor of Ghana,
US Department of State,
Secretary General of the United Nations Koffi Annan,
Prosecutor of the UN Sierra leonean War Crime Tribunal
in the Hague,
Reporters Without Borders,
Committee to Protect Journalists,
International Federation of Journalists
Pen International,
International Freedom of Expression Group (IFEX)
Seneweb.com
Walfajir Radio Senegal,
Foroyaa Newspaper Banjul,
The Point Newspaper Banjul,