GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 15:41:36 +0000
Abdou, thanks for your response and I am in agreement with you, Weyeh, et
al.  I think I loose you when I said "Looks like we're playing both sides".
What I was trying to say in a few words is that Jammeh is in bed with the
Separatists and Dakar, and Wade knows that, and Wade knew this way back when
Joof was in control.  Wade's visit to Gambia and his praises to Jammeh was
just a diplomatic move to convince Jammeh to desist from supporting the
Separatists.  However, Jammeh and his boys, just like the Liberians in
Sierra Leone, or the Ugandans, Zimbabweans, etc., in the DRC, is profiting
from the forestry products in the Cassamance, and Wade knows that too.  All
of Gambia is littered with Lumberyards and their supply is coming from south
of our boarder.  That is why Wade refused to recognize Gambia as a mediator
when he first came to power.  What Wal Fajr announced has been known and
believed by folks in Senegal, and it seems to me Dakar is about to exhaust
her diplomatic gestures.  The incident of infringing on Gambia's airspace is
just a start of the use of force even in Gambian territory.  Think about it,
for twenty years the Senegalese air force knew where their air space ends
and ours begin.  How come they beginning to make mistakes all of a sudden,
both on the ground and in the air.  Like you, I believe Jammeh is really
underestimating the strength of the Senegalese forces.  Acquiring those two
clunkers he calls "jet fighters" is a manifestation of that delusion.  Even
if we use all the police, army, and what have we, Dakar can enter Gambia
when she want to and how she want to.  Keep up the good work.