GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:25:32 +0200
Brother Alieu,

True, this video clip serves the purpose of those who just want us to hear
that portion of the interview that suits their purposes. So there is
definitely the danger of commenting everything out of context. Even you,
despite mentioning the difficulties inherent in replying to Wafa Sultan's
speech, chose to comment on those sections of her speech you found worhty of
comment. Naturally, I disagree that "...the lady is absolutely ignorant..."
as you claim.

What particularly interests me is her reference to modern democracy and a
secular world outlook as compared to dictatorships where women are routinely
oppressed amidst a dearth of individual freedom as obtains in most of the
Muslim world. Can we, for instance, live as Muslims in a democracy and at
the same time tolerate fellow citizens who practice other beliefs, and treat
as equals and defend oppressed and dispossessed people everywhere whether or
not they are Muslims?

I sometimes visit the "masjid" near me for friday prayers. The imam
characteristically delivers his sermons only in arabic, but then uses both
english and swedish additionally when announcing say, demonstrations in
solidarity with or collections for fellow muslims in Palestine, or quake
victims in Pakistan or Iran. Not only do I abhor having to listen to sermons
only in arabic, I think it absolutely wicked when the imam finds no reason
for mentioning the horror perpetrated by arab-speaking (muslims, I suppose)
on fellow Sudanese in Darfur.

Perhaps one can make a strong case for liberating Islam from the Arabs?

Cheers,
sidibeh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい