GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 08:52:37 +0200
Friends,
this is exactly what I thought could happen, when I in one of my letters to
the list were asking:  IF THE MILITARY INVOLVED THE TWO DAYS WERE LIKE THE
STUDENTS TAKEN INTO CUSTUDY TO ENSURE EVIDENCES, WITNESES ON THE TRAGIC
INCIDENTS. I hope this is not true, because then we really can blame the
authorities not to do all they can to get the incident in fully daylight. I
do hope that the inquests taken place right now also includes all fact,
like: list of whom were on duty those days. It is very important for the
truth to be found that all who have seen, heard anything are still in The
Gambia to be called to witness. From what I had learnt until now from the
gambian news it is clear to me that the leaders has not the same knowledge
on who gave what orders. And one even testified that he never gave the
orders of shooting and certainly not with live bullets. So we need the
privates (who maybe just followed orders ?) in The Gambia to testify, not to
fly to Canada or elsewhere.
Can someone confirm the information on soldiers leaving the country. It´s
very interesting, for it shows to me that the authorities really do not want
to cast the fully light over the incident. Else they have isolated all
involved until they could step forward and testify. I think I asked if the
Gambia like here in Denmark has a special force which can investigate or
take over when police or military are charged.
Commet from Asbjørn