GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Demba Jawo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 04:34:08 -0700
Hello Members of the L,

I was shocked and dismayed to see someone impersonated me and wrote the
message below. Not that I do not subscribe to some of the sentiments
expressed, but I wish to inform everyone that this never originated from me.
I suspect that someone somewhere is deliberately trying to get at me.
I wish to assure everyone that I have no fear of writing whatever I want to
write about, and this I do everyday in the local papers. Therefore, I
strongly object to anyone using my name to write what he/she wrote. I
however have confidence in the ability of the List Members to judge things
in their right perspective.

Thank you all for the understanding.
Demba Jawo

On Thu, 4 May 2000 05:22:26 -0700, The Gambia and related-issues mailing
list wrote:

>  Dear Kebba,
>  I really like your proposal as to how to get rid of the tyrannical regime
of
>  Yahya Jammeh and his group of sycophants and illiterate jokers. Those of
us
>  on the ground would really appreciate any assistance from people of
goodwill
>  to help us get rid of these blood thirsty monsters who are out to ruin
this
>  country. You sound quite genuine and I am very much in support of your
>  proposal. I am waiting for more details so that I would play my own part
in
>  it to the best of my ability.
>  I sometimes feel pity for Yahya because he has been hijacked by a group
of
>  self-seeking half-baked fools whose sole ambition is to remain in power
>  forever at whatever expense. These people are Lamin Kaba Bajo, Baba Jobe,
>  the Libyan trained terrorist and a notorious criminal, Abdoulai Kujabi, a
>  relative of Yahya's who has been the one virtually running the security
>  apparatus and telling all the other fools like Baboucarr Jatta and the
other
>  service chiefs how to behave, otherwise he would recommend for their
>  immediate removal. Anything he tells Yahya is what he would do. He is a
fool
>  so he listens to fools like him. There is also one sannitary inspector,
>  whose name I cannot remember who is also one of his most trusted
advisers.
>  Just imagine the calibre of people he relies on to run his government.
When
> [...]
>  >  office, we will post plans outlining the steps needed to run an
interim
>  >  government pending the Restoration Of Democracy through free and fair
>  >  elections.  The plan to elect a new Government will be executed in a
>  >  100-days from the day Yaya is removed from office.
>  >
>  >  A group of dedicated Gambians will create an environment conducive to
>  >  handing over power to a democratically elected government.  A
prominent
>  >  Gambian currently enjoying an illustrious career in the international
>  arena
>  >  with no political ambitions will take a sabbatical leave to head this
>  >  interim government.  In future postings, a list of potential
individuals
>  >  take up this challenge will be given.  The interim President will be
>  aided
>  >  by a cabinet made up of professionals with no ambitions of running for
an
>  >  elective office.  The only seat in the cabinet occupied by military or
>  >  ex-military personnel will be the Defense portfolio.
>  >
>  >  The interim government will suspend the constitution.  Appropriate
>  >  amendments will be made to the constitution. In future postings
detailed
>  >  information on these amendments will be made available.
>  >
>  >  Commissions of inquiries will be set up with plenary powers to
dispense
>  >  justice swiftly.   Yaya, his officials, friends, families, etc will
all
>  be
>  >  prosecuted and dealt with accordingly.  Future postings will outline
the
>  >  process.   If you thought Yaya was vindictive, you have not seen
anything
>  >  yet.
>  >
>  >  This government will not engage in any major development projects.
>  Ongoing
>  >  projects will be assessed and tailored to benefit the country.  The
only
>  >  objectives of the interim administration will be to clean up the
country
>  and
>  >  organize elections to hand over power.
>  >
>  >  We will make future posting amplifying the above steps that will lead
>  the
>  >  Restoration of Democracy in the Gambia.  We encourage debate over some
of
>  >  the issues posted.  However, we will execute these and other endeavors
>  >  regardless of the consensus we reach.
>  >  By God, this is something more important than anything else:
>  >
>  >  WE MUST GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.
Gambia-L