GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kalilu camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:04:31 GMT
My dear Friend Mr.Nordam,

Its nagative to give money to someone who doesnt have either the expertise
or heart to use it, especially if the the resource is meant for a public
benefit.The resource may even be used to harm the very people it was meant
to help in the first place. I think this is the dilema for our friends in
the West of good will,such as yourself Mr Nordam.The reasons why Africa is
in debt by the billions include, in a great proportion, her leaders inablity
to use properly the loans gathered in the name of the majority. The west is
begining to sense this in a more intimate way now that the barriers of lies
that have existed are being broken by information technology.
    I called the White House for lack of knowledge as to where to direct my
suggestions. My suggestion to President Clinton is to make every effort to
accompany the debt relief package with instruments to
make sure that the benefits accrued as a result are felt directly by the
genaral public in the given countries.
     One such workable suggestion is to despise the benefits by independent
experts chosen by the North,(the countries forgiving the loans)
      By this i mean to leave the African countries pay the dept as
scheduled and use the monies to build schools and hospitals and Agric
cultural infrastructure and machinery.
      Iam not very certain of the numbers but I think Africania is paying
more to debt payments a month than she is spending on education health and
Agricultural development in the Whole year! This is typical!!She will take
forever to recover given the math.
      Imagin if the regular payment schedule is reversed! By this i mean
using the payment that she makes a month to address her most urgent needs.
Her recovery rate will increase by a factor of 12 plus whatever rate she is
maintained at now! This is wonderful! It is possible and
within reach for her People.
      The problem is that unless the payment monies are collected
and used by a different system of development the monies will more likely
than not be used to dwarf her growth at a rate of a factor of 12!
This is not meant to be taken lightly imagin if she decide to buy better
guns for her "national security", instead of using the money for the right
uses.(Iam not saying this to down Zimbabwe by any means!)
       If the West hire their own experts and do the proper research with
the money collected only then is this possible.History and past
records exist to back me up! Mr.Norman there is a profound African
proverb that address our present condition: Water does not pass a hole on
the floor on its course across it! Our floors are porous like no where else!
Our desires for comfort far surpass our wildest means!
      I hope i make the sense i so honestly wish to convey,that Africa
needs more than monetary assistance she needs more so Foreign knowhow
and involement to sothe her economic nightmare.
       We have ultraproud African leaders who know they have to beg for the
highest interest loans but will not let foreign expertise in on their
national undertakings. They want to be free from Western influence
in the name of national Sovereignty even if their neighbours kids starve to
death on their corridors asking for food in exchange for slavery in their
households! Meanwhile they prosper almost to the point of rediculouness with
the free money cashed in the form of national loans.They buy Private Planes
and build mansons spend money like it rain from the skys.They will not have
to payback, that is for the future to worry about! This kind of approach to
public property
is very African. This kind of inflated illusioned sense of national
sovereignity is in itself a brain child of the struggle to selfdetermine,but
what is missing in that struggle today is the ability to  involve using the
proven methods that worked for other nations in the West. It is a double
edge sword,on one hand we want to preserve our
national hard earned independence on the other hand we need foreign
assistance to stay alive in hungry global economic war machinery.
    We need friends like you,not on on the fields but in the parliament
if not as major decision makers but respected councilors of some value.
     Thank you for your kind and continues participation in our national
struggle to free.
               sincerely your friend kalilu camara