GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:33:23 -0500
Matarrr Sallah

With due respect lets get our facts right. First and foremost, please note
that Sherriff Mustapha Dibba was elected as MP for Central Baddibu in 1992.
by defeating Dr Lamin Saho by a margin of 400 to 500 votes. Secondly, your
suggestion that Dibba wanted Dembo to relinquish the Bakau seat for him to
take over is a mere fallacy for the simple reason that he (Dibba) will have
to establish that he is a resident of Bakau. Moreover, it is interesting to
note that Dibba has some strong community ties in Baddibu, as I was once
told that his late Father was a District Chief in Baddibu. As a result,it
is very unlikely that Dibba would have opted for Bakau as an easy route for
him to be elected MP. If
Dibba had relinquished Baddibu(his strong
political base) then that would have been the end of his political career,
Furthermore, don`t forget that our electoral laws stipulates that
prospective candidates for all elkections must satisfy the residence
requirement. Since SM Dibba never resided at Bakau, how could he eligible
to contest for the Bakau Constituency?

It is on these basis that I beg to defer with your postings.

Just a thought, no hard feelings

Have a pleasant morning

Sanusi.