GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:36:14 -0700
Mr. Sanneh,

This is an interesting perspective. On Baba Jobe being
a "fish in a well," that's what really scares me. With
the International Community closing in on him, Baba is
sure to do ANYTHING to retain his last and only safe
haven: Gambia. Know something: Baba's boyhood nickname
is "Cobra." Ask around. You know why? Because he never
reasons before lashing out, or engaging in bravado.
He'll himself NEVER kill anyone (don't believe the
hype,) but he has it in him to INCITE others to do it
for him. That's what makes him so dangerous. And he's
more dangerous now than he's ever been, because he's
desperate. A cobra with his back against the wall.
Consider what's he's done in the last four weeks in
Jarra to re-make his image:

1. He bought and killed 20 bulls for an all-day open
party for both natives and out-of-towners. He's
finishing building a massive compound in Soma (on land
forcibly taken from a fellow named Fanding Drammeh.
Fanding is the elder brother of Salmina Drammeh who's
the NIA man in Dakar. Ironic, isn't it?) I understand
he bought a load of mattresses for his out-of-towners
to stay in his new compound.

2. He went around his native Karantaba asking about
people who because of hard times couldn't christen
(Kung Leo, N'gainteh) their children. He found nine
such people. He threw another massive party to
christen those children some of who are now in their
teens -the same day.

3. He went to neighboring Kanikunda, where a two weeks
Recitation of the Holy Quran was winding up, and threw
D10,000 at them as a "donation." What he doesn't know
is that, several people among the elders voiced that
they return his "haram" money. The "we can't do that
because..." group prevailed.

4. Some boys at Kanikunda organized a football match,
but needed a better football. Baba heard about it, and
stepped in. Not only that, he hijacked the entire
occasion and turned it into an APRC event -at the
chagrin of the kids! This was the "rally" that the
Observer reported, and declared the "defection" of
some lady named "Nyima" some weeks ago. Imagine boys
eager to play a match and having Baba Jobe and his
people inside their football field having a "rally."

But, if this face-lift fails to attain the desired
efficacy, what do you think Baba will resort to next?
Gives a whole new meaning to a "carrot and stick"
tactic, don't it? I've said this before, and I'll
emphasize once more, "if the opposition -especially
the UDP- do not watch their back, something terrible
will happen when things don't seem to be going Yaya
Jammeh's way." Forget Baba, he knows more than anyone
that he doesn't stand a prayer in his native W. Jarra.
But he figures, as long as Yaya Jammeh is in, he's ok.
Just mull over that...

Good morning.
Saul.