GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:14:44 EDT
Brother Sanusi:
I disagree with your assertion that it is too early to make a judgment.

After a few years of being on the L, I have come to understand that it is
very important not to take too literally all we see and read here. The fact
is that Gambians on the ground, as opposed to most of us on the L, have a
very different perspective of domestic political events.  They therefore have
different motivations and reasons for voting for their political leanings.
For this reason, to act as if what goes on here and the information we get
from various sources is the end-all in determining what will happen come
October is perhaps a bit misguided.  Furthermore, to use these facts to posit
theories and conclusions is akin to gross intellectual dishonesty IMHO.  To
hold these less than worthy theories as gospel and, in the process, attempt
to shove them down certain members' throats or cyber-lynch anyone who dares
voice alternative ideas is even more disturbing.  It is no different from
what certain dictators and their cronies in Africa, say Robert Mugabe, do in
regard to their monopoly on ideas.  This simply does not further any type of
advancement because the attempt to forcibly make folks see things from only
one perspective hampers the type of 'collective thought advancement' borne
from a consideration of all ideas regardless of how far from the norm they
might be.

Sanusi, while I respect your noble stance, you have to realize that you are
dealing with a different type of animal here.  I simply do not buy much of
this theorization which is going on here.  It is important that we apply
common sense and logic to some of these issues before taking too literally
the analysis of a faux 'cyber-lawyer' or 'cyber-analyst'.'  Common sense and
logic is paramount here and if we continue to buy these theories hook, line
and sinker, we will not only be misled into a false sense of security but we
will also be terribly disappointed come election time in October.

My opinion is that the UDP should buckle up and really tackle issues on the
ground with zeal and energy.  I shall not slap them on the hand.  I shall not
lightly chide them.  In fact, it is paramount of me as a politically aware
Gambian, to at the least highlight my contention with their mediocre
political campaign up to this point.  5 months is not much time to get things
correct but something drastic needs to be done.

Anyway hope this clarifies my stance a bit...