GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:51:27 PDT
Gambia L,

The e-mail below is from one ofmy sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima

I hope both you are fine. We are trying to keep mind, body and soul together
at the expense of our collective sanity as a Nation. But we the people shall
prevail. The Gambian situation is no longer tenable and sooner rather than
later something has to give.

The Gambia is effectively a dysfunctional state. The civil service is
crippled. The business environment polluted with government controls through
administrative fiat contrary to the free market philosophy that we all
espouse.

The government has now and finally accepted (thank God) its ineptitude.(One
government Secretary of State saying to another "you
must realise, we don't know how Government functions).

This government is incapable of handling the myriad of problems it brought
upon itself through GREED. Even the die-hard supporters are now convinced
that Yahya Jammeh and his cohorts have failed them, have lied to them, have
deceived them, have murdered them, have raped them and have rendered them
unemployed through greed-driven policies .

They have now gone as low as siphoning off duty-free fuel through a scheme
involving GPTC, Castle Oil (local oil company owned by Tufik Massry) under
the guise of fuelling the personal plane that belongs to Yahya.

The Gambia has been hijacked by a group of bandits and ALL Gambians are now
hostages, but not for long. Lamin Kaba Bajo who was partly responsible for
the dismissal of so many civil servants and helped create the lawlessness of
Brikama town is under close surveillance by the NIA.

Jammeh suspects that LaminBajo will flee the country which would spell
disaster for a regime he knows so much about and on the verge of
total disintegration.

On the political front, the Opposition continues to attract impressive
crowds during their recent tours. In fact, the UDP is currently touring the
provinces with huge crowds at each stop. The NRP leader also registered a
successful campaigne tour as was reported in the Independent of last week.
PDOIS also earlier on made some rural tours.
As for the APRC, the continuous and pathetic showing in the campaign
circuit is embarrassing to say the least. In Sukuta, this week their rally
attracted less than 70 people.

In SerreKunda, it was repeat performance of the week before when APRC
officials (Saja and Yankuba) tried to explain the reason for the low turn
out; this week the figure was lower (some estimates put the "crowd" at 25
people) which forced them to move from the street into
a compound and quickly converted the rally into a sensitisation meeting of
"Yaicompins" as alluded to by Saja Taal after their disasterous Tallinding
rally the week before.

In their attempt to divert the attention of the people from their recent
failures, Fatoumatta Jahumpa and the Jammeh cronies are proceeding with
their Million Mom March set for tomorrow.

Despite the 10 (ten) buses they intend to use to ferry in the would be
Moms-for-hire, I still predict that it will be a dismal failure. The
organisers are an insensitive bunch.

How can you celebrate the birthday of Jammeh at a time when Gambians want to
know who killed our defenceless children on the 10th and 11th of April. The
celebrations, marches and the like are efforts to rehabilitate Jammeh's
battered image. What they fail to accept is that the guy's image is beyond
repair.

Have you seen Sam Sarr's (not Sam Sarr of PDOIS) interview on the Crude Oil
Deal? The UDP said they will reply appropriately and shortly. What of Tamsir
Jallow's view on the role of the IEC in
selecting dates for Local Council elections?

He's got his reply from the horse's mouth. No one is going to take these
nonesense lying down. Those days are over..gone. You want to tell me that
these are serious people? Yahya and APRC, we say " game's
up...finished...kaput"

I am still in the office doing some work for the useles Cabinet

Thanks!