GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:24:11 -0500
Adama Sarr, Laudable Woman Entrepreneur

The Independent (Banjul)

INTERVIEW
March 22, 2002
Posted to the web March 22, 2002

Olufemi Jr
Banjul

Time for some naked home truths, readers. We Gambians don't give a monkey's
about what we have, we don't give necessary propelling pats on the back to
those who need it and, take or leave it, we are a wet blanketing lot! What
more could I say if a Gambian, who has lived for 36 years abroad decides to
come home to set up a business to play her part in nation building only to
have Europeans (yes, Europeans!) for customers.

This is what befell Adama Sarr, proprietor of Gam Tropical Juice and as she
rightfully puts across here, Gambians do take each other for granted.

Born in the late forties in Banjul, Sarr, with no formal education, left for
the UK in the mid 60's with her husband where she worked as a hairdresser in
Birmingham and later learned to process tropical fruits from a British lady.

Home, they say, is where the heart is and in 1999, Sarr came home and set up
Gam Tropical Juice, producing 100% pure and chemical-less juice.

The support she gets from her country folk is devastating but Sarr hopes to
surge on.

In this issue of Portrait, she talks on her branch child and other related
issues.

Q. What brought about the innovation of Gam Tropical Juice?

A. Well, I have been doing this all my life and to me, Gambia produces a lot
of useful fruits, which is wasting. Therefore, I decided that when I come
home, I'd open a factory, train girls that would benefit the Gambian people.

Q. Talking of coming home, were you out of the country?

A. Yes, I was in the UK since 1963. As a married woman, I'm always a very
ambitions person. My first profession was hairdressing and I later switched
over to food processing. A British lady taught me everything. She once told
me if she passes away, she would leave no money for me but she would show me
something that millions would benefit from. It was a joke but, now that
she's passed away, it is coming to reality.

Q. Did you come over to contribute to national development or were you fed
up with the UK?

A. Not really fed up, I think it is only natural when you are away for so
long and besides, home is home. I'm very proud to be a Gambian. It's
wonderful to be home among the community, to be a good citizen because we
all have a contribution to make, no matter how big or small. Time waits for
no man and we have to remember our children and grandchildren and make a
better tomorrow for them. A foundation is needed for them and we should all
contribute to that, others should not do it for us. In Europe and other
parts of the world, the Gambia is very popular. We've got the knowledge, the
ability and we are as good as anybody else.

Q. Why the name Tropical Gam Juice?

A. I've been registered and I'm dealing with natural fruits. I don't use
chemical or powder. What I want is something to grow in the Gambia, which is
tropical fruits. Thus, I called it 'Tropical', and Gam means 'Gambia', which
belongs to all of us.

Q. What was business like when you kicked off?

A. Tough! Very difficult, physically and mentally. It wasn't easy.

Financially; finding the right people to train wasn't easy too, electricity
was also a major problem. We used to work at night and off during the day,
to ensure the juice would be cold enough. It was hard.

I have to thank my girls very much. They helped and made my dream come true.

Q. Despite all the nitty-gritty, what really kept you going

A. My family, especially my husband. He would say to me "whatever you want
to do in life as long as you are not hurting anyone, go ahead kindled
towards mankind! If God puts you in a position no one can take you out of
there.

As long as you are helping your country and people, keep on going.

It's not your strength that moves you on but that of the Lord's." I firmly
believe that because there was a time I nearly packed up and left. Now I
would love to stay to see my dream come true. It's a challenge but I think
I'll conquer it, insha Allah.

Q. Who are your main customers?

A. They are Europeans

Q. Europeans?

A. Yes Isn't that disappointing, as Gambians ought to patronize fellow
Gambians and encourage your business?

Yes. I've been disappointed in many ways because of the problems in Gambia.
I'm not insulting anybody, but the fact is that we underestimate people.
That's where we make mistakes, sometimes. When people have the ability that
could benefit a nation, it should not be ignored. My main buyers are the
foreign embassies, the German Forestry, Family Planning and up to Kafuta
from where they drive down here to buy my juice. The Gambians around the
corner could not buy my juice. I have very small support from the Gambia
people and it upset me deeply in the beginning.

Now I'm no more upset because I know God's time is the best even though they
know something good is going on.

Q. Why, in God's name, should Gambians give you a cold shoulder when you are
taking a good initiative?

A. Well, I think it is ignorance. I don't think most people know how good
the product is for children, adults, pregnant women and everyone. It is good
to have natural things. They think when it is not canned or packaged from
Europe you are not drinking the right thing! We've got the best in our own
home, grown, produced in the Gambia and it is cheap. If we were doing this
in Europe, we would make a hell of money.

However, money is not the main thing. My main target is to be here and work
with my people

Q. When you came back and Gambians rebuffed you, did you feet like closing
shop?

A. The only thing they would say was how could I come from Europe to sell
wonjo? I said what is wrong with that? I'm not ashamed to do that.

I'm not stealing, either. Really I don't blame them because the man is
always the breadwinner. Being brought up in Europe for so long, my attitude
has changed. I have become more and more independent because I have worked
all my life and raised four children. I won't come here and do nothing,
which makes me very uncomfortable. I like to work.

Q. Certainly, a lot of money must have been pumped into your business.

A. Oh yes! I think the future would be bright and things would work.

Q. But you do pump out profit.

A. You know, a businessperson would never say enough is enough. We managed
to invest in a small way. We do make profit.

Q. How large is your business?

A. Well, it is something we can manage. I'm the founder and financier, with
my husband and family's help. But it does not belong to me.

Rather, it belongs to the workers because without them and Allah, I would
not reach where I am.

Q. What are the obstacles you presently encountering?

A. To get the boys to work is a problem. There is nothing wrong with selling
wonjo or juice. There is work here and the more boys I employ to sell, the
more girls I will employ to produce. But I went all over the place,
advertise in the papers and nobody turned up.

Q. You must have felt left out.

A. I think Gambians don't take me seriously. However, the Lebanese, who are
my customers, patronize me a lot.

Q. Does your business run all year round or is it seasonal?

A. We work round the clock. The only time we rest is Sundays

Q. Does the tourism industry..?

A. (Cuts in). No, nothing to do with then. I talked to a right guy about it
guy but nothing happened. Hopefully, being a member of the Chamber of
Commerce can make a difference for us. Then we'll have a little voice, make
our contribution because this is something that should be given a great
support and things would get better and better. Who knows, in a century's
time, it might still be here

Q. Are you saying tourism plays no role in your business?

A. Not really. We never had any contacts with tourists. We just work.

However, the Romana Hotel do visit here with their students to see how we
work. They tried the juice bought some. Beside that, we have not seen any
kind of backup.

Q. Do you have other business attached to this one?

A. Yes, we do. There is a fast food restaurant, telecenter and taxis.

Q. Meaning business is not bad for you?

A. (Chuckles). We don't put all our eggs in one basket. We make sure when
something collapses, there is something to back it up. We want to invest
more preferably up country.

Q. Will you lone-range the initiative or you will seek for support?

A. Amm I do seek for support because I hope one day I will not be able to
manage it alone for I earnestly want the business to grow.

Q. Are you grooming your children to take up the business?

A. No, I'm not doing that. I would say this company belongs to everybody.

Maybe one day when things are really big, there could be shareholders.