GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:17:17 EDT
Mr. Touray,

I read your piece and must say that it is unfortunate that you decided to
quote the area you did and still appear to credit Yaya and his gang for the
fact that the July 22, 1994 coup was bloodless. Like I explained before,
those of us who were in The Gambia, watching objectively while things unfold
know why the coup was bloodless. In my humble opinion, the distinction
between the use of force and threat thereof is irrelevant; especially when
used in order to give credit to a regime that has shamelessly used brutal
force on the very citizens they are meant to protect.
Secondly, I did not mean to insinuate that you were one of those people who
supported the unconstitutional changes that took place when Yaya took over.
If I knew for certain that you did and I wanted to say so, I would do that
in no uncertain terms.
I hate to be sidetracked by issues like this because my main focus should be
TO GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY so that we would not have another
April 10 massacre.
KB