GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:09:42 +0100
Mr Gassama

Please note that until the Secretary of State for the
Justice/the National Assembly do the necessary
modifications, Decree 89 is still valid.

As I said before, President Yahya Jammeh can neither
make nor amend any law. Since Decree 89 was introduced
into our Statute Books, it will have to be amended by
the appropriate authority- The NATIONAL ASSEMBLY and
NO ONE ELSE. It is therefore right for me to say that
Yahya Jammeh speech of 22 July  was just a message of
intention.

I understand some APRC supporters have started
praising President Yahya Jammeh for repealing Decree
89, but the truth of the matter is that there is no
need to jubilate, since there is the likelihood that
the unbanned politicians will only be able to re
activate their political rights 1 month or less before
the elections.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

Sorry to butt in, what the president said is that