GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:59:52 +0000
Pa Modou,

Edi has been doing more than chipping in periodically.  He has actually
spent some time in The Gambia doing research on Gambian tourism at his own
cost.  He is genuinely interested not only in the welfare of the Gambia but
has a keen interest in the tourism sector.  I have met him on at least a
couple of occasions at the Department of State for Tourism Conference Room
doing research.

On the sector proper, I am of the view that the Tourism Master Plan Study
should be expedited so that policy issues relating to package tours,
eco-tourism, product mix, and the redefinition and/or revalidation of the
Gambia Tourism Authority, among a host of other important aspects of the
sector, are diagnosed sytematically and definitively for adoption.
Presently, no such blue print exists for a sector that contributes at least
12 per cent to GDP.  During my informal meeting with Senior Management of
GTA a couple of weeks ago, I urge them to take special interest in the
implementation of the Study which is being ably handled by Sheihk Tejan
Nyang.  I was very impressed not only with the new offices of the GTA but
most importantly with the impressive Management team that has been assembled
and an equally impressive Board of Directors. I wish GTA Management every
success.

Sidi Sanneh